Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

[Pics included] Specialized Comp VS Merida 907
Quote | Reply
First of all, lets get this out of the way: Both bikes fit (with a little adjustment).

So... I've narrowed my search down to 2 bikes, The Specialized Allez Comp 18, and the Merida Magnesium 907.

Here is the specialized:

And here is the Merida:

Which One?
Quote Reply
Re: [Pics included] Specialized Comp VS Merida 907 [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why the heck would you want a Merida?

Seriously, it's such a second-tier brand, if that. Is there anything in particular about that bike that merits comparison with the venerable Specialized?

American's are definately infekting the world with there English grammer.
Quote Reply
Re: [tri_taiwan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe Merida owns 49% of Specialized. In the rest of the world Merida is not considered a second tier brand at all. Gune Rita Dahle and Sabine Spitz the world mountain bike champion and world cup winner respectively both ride Merida.
Quote Reply
Re: [paul cusick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would select the Merida due the comfortable Magnesium frame. It absorbs uneven surfaces, gives a better ride - much better than a stiff alu frame.

Merida builds bikes of all categories - including very good top racing bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are the componant and weight differences, and I assume that you want this bike for what type of racing?

Personally, I would go for the specialized simply because I like their frames, I would be somewhat suspect about those wheels however, i've heard shimano wheels have a tendency to break spokes, would you somehow be able to switch them out for the mavic cosmos (which are on the merida?) Other than that, which one do you like.. honestly you can't be totally impartial.

David
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did you come up with these two, I am a fan of the compact frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only TANGIBLE difference between these bikes is the spec wheelset. FWIW, I changed out the Shimanos on my 02 Comp for a set of Cosmos. The Shimanos felt really week in cornering. Hard efforts tended to rub brake pads, forcing me to have to open the brakes a bit during crits (NOT a good situation!). Put Cosmos on the Specialized and you'll be happy with either bike.

Either bike is more than suitable for all but the most demanding Crit or TT riding. You'll want more aggressive geometry (quick steering) for American style crits. You'll want a more forward position for Tri/Du TT riding.
Quote Reply
Re: [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know, I do mostly Sprint drafting races, so which one has better handling??
Quote Reply
just to be fair [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we should probably mention who rides Specialized. Unfortunately, there is no one notable who does...except for some Italian guy whose name escapes, but he isn't very good. Oh, and I think he rides (or rode last year) the same frame as the comp.
Quote Reply
Re: [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't speak on which handles better. I have a Spec Comp and it handles great in a pack, up hill, down hill, and in a TT setup.

Here's something to think about. You'll find a Spec dealer nearly every where you go. Service means a lot.
Quote Reply
Re: [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well it's decided, I'm buying the Specialized :)

I like the frame better (cooler looking), and it has a nicer paint scheme
Quote Reply
Re: [paul cusick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I believe Merida owns 49% of Specialized. In the rest of the world Merida is not considered a second tier brand at all. Gune Rita Dahle and Sabine Spitz the world mountain bike champion and world cup winner respectively both ride Merida.[/reply]

I suppose that was my inherited reverse local prejudice speaking. Here in Taiwan the local brands are essentially pooh-poohed and frowned upon, in my view largely because they are so common and imported brands carry far more prestige. I ride a Giant TCR anyway and I'm glad I do, but in general Merida is a tiny brand even here in Taiwan, and I see so little about them elsewhere I jumped to the (lame) conclusion that they are a second-tier brand. I know that they are a huge OEM manufacturer, so for all I know they might produce some of the big name companies' frames for them.

My apologies for an uninformed post.

American's are definately infekting the world with there English grammer.
Quote Reply
Re: [tri_taiwan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
take the merida fight compact geometry. weak point i know but hey i can only dream of a bike like those.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply