Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri's selling out faster every year
Quote | Reply
We have a local sprint triathlon (the Vulcan Tinman) that sold out in 37 minutes this year. It's getting to the point where it's harder to get into a race than it is to do it.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri's selling out faster every year [Brent F] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a pain in the ass for all of us, but I think it is of real concern due to the difficulty of getting the "normal" public involved. Those of us on this and similar sites are probably overly immersed in triathlons. We are also very active on the internet. The joe or judy blow that decides to get in shape for the local triathlon is really out of luck. In my area (North Carolina) we have tons of races but most of the races are produced by Set-Up Inc, and many of them sell out. (Unlike the kid from ASU that wrote to one of the mags, I don't fault all of the rich yuppies.) The races don't sell out in a matter of minutes, but historically you could sign up the last day for a race. We have people that decide to train for a race that they heard about or did 5 years ago as a team. They walk into a local shop for a bike tune up and mention the race. Only then do they learn that it is closed out months ago and before the mailing even went out. One of the great things about triathlons, in my opinion, is the appeal and access to the general public. The shortage of slots is reducing us to a more elite group- heaven forbid that we should start acting like, oh I don't know, let's say..... cyclists- sorry.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri's selling out faster every year [Mantis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is a little tid bit to go along w/ what Mantis said about NC Triathlons.

In 2002 online registration for a Set-UPinc produced race series ( 20 races) was at about 800 pre-registerd folks for the month of January.

In 2003 online registration for the same series skyrocketed to over, get this......4000 registrants for one of the 20 races.

I think the age of the sprint has made triathlon accessable to larger numbers. I also feel that triathlon has grabbed hold of people and not let go.

We as a bicycle shop that sells/races/sponsors and loves all triathlon related feel pressure from the rate of fill at the local races. We try hard to inform anyone who even mentions the word triathlon that they need to register early.

I just want to say how cool it is to know how many people, lurkers and poster-tri-nerds, there are that actively pursue a healthier lifestyle.

"Nothing in life ever just happens. Calculated progression insures your strength."
Shawn Spencer
Bike Cycles
Wilmington, NC
http://www.bikecycleshop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brent,

Tinman sold out in 30 minutes!!!???? wow...i was hoping to register for this race, but wasnt even sure when the registration opened up.

Thats CRAZY!

i have started registering for races in august already, but if i get hurt, i am going to be boned for a few hundred dollars worth of entry fees. its becoming a madness.

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Re: Tri's selling out faster every year [Mantis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mantis,
I am that "kid from ASU" that you spoke of. It is true that I used the term "rich yuppies", or something along those lines in Triathlete to vent my frustration at not being able to get into races that I have been competing in for 6 seasons now, but as is the case with many editorials printed, my whole letter was not included. I went on to invite comments from any and everyone as to how the current situation might be amended. I was personally thinking of a process like the one employed by ticketmaster(for concerts and such) where the event is only open for registration on a set date (ex. 6 weeks before race date). My reasoning for writing that letter, and posting this reply is to perhaps express feelings shared by many in my situation who have yet to voice their concerns. While I don't "fault" people for being successful and fortunate, I do feel at a personal disadvantage because I do not have those types of funds to spend $500 at a single time to race throughout the year. I realize there is inequity in every facet of our society, but I hate to see it effect the quality of our great sport. ( I say this because many college athletes are very competitive, but as everyone knows aren't the most financially well off) Thanks for the opinions, and see you at the races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm feeling fortunate again to be where I am. The sprints here typically sell out maybe a month before race day. So some pre-planning involved, but nothing like what other areas see. I think the earliest sell out last year was for Santa Rosa Island, and that closed in June for a September race that's big by local standards. And there are still races where you can register the day before.

My biggest complaint is that it's hard for RDs to get permits during summer High Tourista season, so the local calendar is just about all spring and fall races.
Quote Reply