Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Looking for stuff ***UPDATED***....
Quote | Reply
Bike I bought is a Trek Hilo 2000, full Altregra, so all parts would be for it.

A non-numbing seat, you know the kind that will keep the boys from going numb, the one with a cut out or grove? I'm a 1st year'er who just scored on a bike deal and need to get it up to par. Looking for some brake levers. Need newer style wheels also (650cc), and need an 8/9 speed cassette. Let me know what you have and how much. I need a decent helmet, my head is s/m so let me know what you have. Thanks for the help, I think IRONLOBO was hooking me up with a set of older pedals, big props to IRONLOBO for the help!!!! Also got the hookup from tidriver for a computer for the ride!!! Major help thanks guys! I found a pair of Nike tri shoes for 75% off and scored on those babies! If you are in SD and need a pair pm me and I will let you know where they are, they have about 10 pairs left. What else do I need, let me know? Thanks again everyone!!

*****Updated******

Remember when the Zombies come, and they will come...the fatties always go first.
Last edited by: Flightrisk: Jan 17, 08 8:29
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for stuff for new to me bike.... [Flightrisk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may have a pair of Spinergy wheels, or Zipp disc rear if you are interested. I can get you a seatpost as well. shoot me an email. shawn@bikecycleshop.com

"Nothing in life ever just happens. Calculated progression insures your strength."
Shawn Spencer
Bike Cycles
Wilmington, NC
http://www.bikecycleshop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're still looking for a computer, I have a couple of used Cateye Astrale's that aren't being used. Nice computer - rear mount w/ cadence, so perfect for the trainer. Needs a new battery, but otherwise, good to go. Yours for the cost of shipping.

Mike

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Might have what your looking for..........I have a set of older Hed Jet Tubular race wheels, they come with brand new lightly used Continental Comp Tubulars professional glued at my LBS, skewers that will get you by. The carbon "dish" on the wheels is 55 mm, all the rear wheel spokes were replaced this year, they are the standard 14g spokes, the front wheel still has the aero spokes. If your interested I can send you some pictures.

Also have a Specialized Carbon Seatpost with the Zertz insert to further dampen the your ride, I know it will fit cause I just pulled it out of my old Trek Hilo 1000 frame I sold.

Cheers :)

------------------------------------------------------------
"PAIN is nothing compared to what it feels like to QUIT" Wink
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can actually run a ten speed cassette in your frame, and your shifters can be run in friction mode to be compatible...wanted to make sure you knew your frame was more versatile than just 8s. Gives you a bit more flexibility to match your natural cadence.

...oh and your derailleur would work flawlessly. 10s chain would be recommended, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PM-ed you; probably have everything you need/want
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for stuff for new to me bike.... [NextMerckx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, this is good information because the guru at the LBS told me, (when I asked about changing over to 9spd) that I had to do new derailers and shifters....the bike came with the complete group of altegra, everything even the breaks match, I like that and like the equipment. The wheels (older campy) are okay for training and pounding out the miles but I would like a better set for racing or group riding, not a full set of zipp stuff, just maybe someones take off's. Thanks again for the info.

******Another general question*********

Is the main difference between 8-9-10 spd just I will be missing a couple hill gears because I run an 8 spd cassette? Also the guru at LBS told me I was running like a 19 which he told me is real small, small like a hard gear right? Like big chain ring and small on rear cassette equals tough but fast on flat?

Thanks again!

Remember when the Zombies come, and they will come...the fatties always go first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the help. I think I have replied to everyone who PM'd me. I have updated the need/want list. Those that have helped thanks so much!!

Quote Reply
Re: Looking for stuff ***UPDATED***.... [Flightrisk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meant to pm.
Last edited by: Trirunner: Jan 17, 08 11:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
8s Shimano derailleurs are fully compatible with 9s/10s stuff. Shifters, however, are and aren't. They are in that bar end shifters (found on most tri bikes) have a friction --no clicks in between gears, you just adjust the lever 'til it's in gear-- and an index --that's the clicking-- mode. They aren't compatible when you're talking about STI, the integrated brake/shift levers *before I get corrected, I know that you can fudge it a bit and make it work, but let's leave that out*. The derailleurs will just need the limit screws backed out in most cases. The ONLY incompatibility when it comes to cassettes/derailleurs is that a 8/9s cassette can't fit on a 10-only freehub body. However, a 10s cassette CAN fit on an 8/9s freehub.

As for the difference between 8s, 9s, and 10s, the answer is 'sometimes'. Everyone's body is attuned to a natural cadence (it can be changed over time with training, though) and works best within a certain RPM range. The advantage to larger numbers of rear cogs is that you can conquer more terrain in your comfortable cadence with only one cassette. In essence, one cassette can work in more instances. You used to have to choose between multiple cassettes if you wanted a 16t cog for criterium riding (56x16 = excellent 'home gear') but needed to deal with hills the next day. Or if you had rolling hills for a 2 mile section of a 9 mile lap. Things like that. Now you have one 12x25 or 11x26 and you're never really in an awkward feeling gear.

A 19t cog in the back is very high gearing. It's going to be extremely uncomfortable on anything over about a 7% grade if you have to keep it up. The smaller the rear cog, the higher the gear ratio (front ring/ rear cog = gear ratio) and the harder to pedal.

So in short: to run a 10s cassette, make sure your shifters will work (bar end, not STI), and just buy a 10s chain. Other than that, you already have everything you need.
Quote Reply