Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Who out there knows Lance personally?
Quote | Reply
That's what I thought.

My, but you are all full of insight about him as a person.
Quote Reply
Re: Who out there knows Lance personally? [TxDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does knowing his agent count?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Met him four or five times- once with a fairly extended conversation at Interbike WELL before he was famous.

I sat next to two empty chairs at Frankie's wedding that had Lance's name on them, but he was in the hospital with cancer. I raced him once when he was a triathlete. Well, I saw him at the start... that was pretty much the end of it. He won. (Emerald Health Trithlon, Ohio, 1987?). I think he was about 15 or 16.

I don't know him. I've crossed paths with him a couple times, but not since he's become (in)famous.

The most memorable thing he told me was, and I quote: "I really don't know much about bikes. I just ride."

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Al Troutwig knows. He is all knowing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only read his books, and I got to talk to him for 5 minutes one night before he gave a talk. I talked to Kik for much longer, she's definitely got a good head on her shoulders, very smart, energetic, engaging. He's very intense, but takes the time to look right into your eyes, and not through you, like many "famous" people tend to do. He actually listens, thinks, and responds to your comments/questions. I think he'd be interesting to hang around, (as a person, not a celebrity...I have no interest in hanging around famous people just because they are famous) because he is so forthright.

But, do I know him personally? No way.

Would he remember me? He might, if prompted. My buddy handed him a six-pack of Shiner Bock beer in the back hall of Myer's Park country club to grease the skids. (He was honestly appreciative, and even raised his glass, containing the Shiner Bock, to my buddy during his talk.) I told him that I am a cancer survivor, and compete in triathlons. We discussed a certain pedalling training device, what he thought about it, and how it might or might not benefit AG'ers like me.

Ask him if he remembers the Shiner Bock Guys in Charlotte the next time you see him!

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Who out there knows Lance personally? [yaquicarbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the crank thing...I remember you mentione that a while ago :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know him at all but I've done several triathlons which he raced back in the mid 80's.

The first time I ever heard of him was when he came in 2nd in a pretty big race near Ft. Worth in about 1985. I think it was the state championship race for Texas.

After the race I overheard someone say in disbelief that the guy who finished 2nd was a 14 year old kid.

I felt like quitting the sport when I heard that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like I said, I went to HS with him and we ran on the track team together. I certainly don't have a relationship w/him now, of course.
Quote Reply
Re: Who out there knows Lance personally? [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't know him personally, have talked to him on several occassions, and have beat him in a triathlon before (USTS Hilton Head Nationals).

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Who out there knows Lance personally? [beatnic_tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
... I believe you are referring to the Presidents Club Triathlon held in Las Collinas... same place they had the 2000 Olympic trials.

It seems like it was Dave Scott Or Scott Tinley that ran him down in the last portion of the run. And, I believed they thought he had cut the bike course.

At least that's what I remember... I was there also.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Re: Who out there knows Lance personally? [Joe M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No this race was a few years before that one. It was in Benbrook near Ft. Worth. It was not as "big" a race as Presidents. I was at Presidents Triathlon but didn't know anything about him possibly cutting the bike course. That bike course was pretty chopped up and confusing if I recall correctly. I think it was Mark Alan that finished in front of him.
Quote Reply