Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What's your sprint speed?
Quote | Reply
I was riding today and pushed it up around 32mph on a flat stretch. I maybe could have gotten some more out of it if I had gotten off the saddle. I'll try that next time.

Anyways, I was wondering how that compared with most of you folks on a flat stretch. Also, for any of you really fast ones, any tips on how to pick that up? I know there is no real need for it, but it just got me wondering today during my ride.
Quote Reply
Re: What's your sprint speed? [alb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jump out of the saddle, then sit down and try to crank it up some more. It is pretty hard to get over 35mph (at least for me). When I was a pup we had a cop (also a rider) radar us and I hit 37 once solo and 38 with a leadout.
Our fastest trackie (national ranked sprinter) was hitting 40 2 of 3 runs . alone, and 41 with a leadout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which direction was the wind blowing and how strong was it? Makes a huge difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It that peak speed or sustained for a certain distance?

I've hit a peak of 54kmh on my MTB with slicks. COuld only handle it for about 100m though ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pegged at 36mph... but that was a few years ago when I was doing leadouts on a regular basis. I have no acceleration, but the ability to ride fast for a longer amount of time than most.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've hit about 38mph coming off a wheel, and I am not a really good sprinter, since I don't have the top end speed of a lot of guys I race against. Might have been with a tailwind, I forget since that was a couple of years ago.

These days, I have no idea since I don't use a bike computer.

You can train speed to a certain extent, but a lot of it is natural ability. 3 things off the top of my head:

1) Ride lots and lose weight. A lighter rider with the same muscle mass will sprint faster.

2) Short intervals, long recovery, at 95-100% effort. Efforts should last between 20sec and 1 minute.

3) Work on power at low cadences, eg standing start intervals. Also work on leg speed. Good workout is a 15 sec sprint from a standing start in a 53/16 or so. Forces the initial high torque acceleration and then turnover at the end of the interval.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: What's your sprint speed? [jasonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no idea where the wind was blowing. I'm going to try again and get out of the saddle a little bit and give that a try. When I tried yesterday, it was just a spur of the moment thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was once a feild sprinter for our cycling team, and won a few crits in my day. I can hit 40 mph on flat ground with no wind, and have seen 41-43 mph with a lead out. I've done an 11.7 200M (38.46 mph ave) recently on the track, and in our last friday night Madison, I came around a guy whose computer showed his max speed of 41.4 mph.

What I find amazing is the sustained speed of kilo and pursuit riders and the leadout men Mario, Petacchi, Boonen, et al have!

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: What's your sprint speed? [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't know the fastest speed but it was fast enough to win a few races.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: What's your sprint speed? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
36, no wind - getting aero helps your max speed
Quote Reply