Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

AC shoulder separation - rehab? Advice?
Quote | Reply
Group,

I recently posted that I crashed out of IMLP with a Separated shoulder. It is a Grate II AC separtation (I'm suprised how much it hurts!) and would like any advice this group has on rehab and recovery.

As soon as the flesh heals, so I don't need band aids on my back, and I can dress myself, I will at least be back in the pool kicking.

I mean, come on now, it has been 4 days and I am getting itchy!
Many Thanks,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: AC shoulder separation - rehab? Advice? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dig up some documentation on PT post-Bankhart Repair surgery. Great strengthening to maybe keep you from needing the surgery itself.

Do everything you can to rehab, strengthen, and increase/maintain full range of motion.
Quote Reply
Re: AC shoulder separation - rehab? Advice? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 3rd degree AC seperation its been a long time since it happened and you can still see the clavical sticking up a bit. I was supposed to have a screw inserted but thought the 12 weeks total imobilization wasn't worth it. (I was 17 at the time and would make a different decision today) What I did do was have a sling that immobilized the shoulder so that the muscles could heal up. When it wasn't sore any more I started doing light rehab work to strengthen the rotator cuff and get all the mechanics working together again. You may want to talk to a physical therapist for some electro stimution and ultrasound. A PT can also give you a list of exercises to help you regain your range of motion.
Quote Reply