Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Am I On Something? - 1/2 IM Nutrition Plan
Quote | Reply
I'm doing my first 1/2 next week. My nutrition plan is pretty basic but, as with all things basic, it is starting to seem too simple as the race approaches and I suddenly have this overriding desire to have 235 different nutritional products with me during the race. I currently plan on using what i have used in training but with a more disciplined approach to assure I get about 500 cal/hr and drink regularly.

Here it is: A good breakfast; several GU gels on the bike (exact schedule not worked out yet) plus a Power Bar or 2; 3 or so GU gels on the run (depending on my stomach) and I will drink Gatorade throughout with some plain water thrown in. This is the stuff I have been eating and drinking throughout my training and the shorter races I have done and I've never had any problems. (I know a lot of people don't like Gatorade but I drink it by the gallon without any problems plus it will be on the course.)

My questions are - am I missing anything?

And - do I need some sort of additional electrolyte replacement like e-caps? I have not used them up to now and I have not had any problems with cramping etc.

If it makes a difference, I'm shooting for about 5:30.

Quote Reply
Re: Am I On Something? - 1/2 IM Nutrition Plan [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do a GU every 25 minutes and a bottle of Gatorade every 40. Don't overthink this - most people do. If it works in training stay with it.
I have never used electrolytes in any 1/2 or IM so I can't speak on that. Other than to say, I guess I never needed it because I've never had a cramping problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am defiantly no expert here, as I did my first half this past weekend. I wanted a 5:30 too, I did 5:18

Here is what I learned;

Don't eat too soon on the bike. Get settled in and then refuel.

My eating during training was no use beyond I knew what I 'could' handle on race day. Everything is different under race conditions.

If you don't feel well on the bike slow down carb intake.

Continue to drink through the run.

As a side, 500 cl/hr seems high. From what I understand 300-400 is the max a body can process an hr. Anything over that is asking for trouble. My coach recommended I take in 200 grams for breakfast, I weight 150 lbs.

Unless you have decided how to even carry e-caps or such don't worry about using them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's what I did on my first 1/2 at the end of june. I have my 2nd coming up in a week and a half. I used 3 bottles gatorade with enduralyte powder, gu, 1 clif bar. + pepsi allsport which is what they served at the race.

which race are you doing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The first thing that comes to mind is that you should have has your nutrition plan figured out during training, as training IS the best way to figure out what you need during longer races. During IM Florida a few years ago, the bars they provided were Ironman PR bars. I tried these on one of my long training bricks. What I found is that I couldn't digest those nasty things and ended up bonking during that workout. Thus, I ended up carrying all the Powerbars I needed on the bike.

But, don't panic. Plan on consuming about a liter of fluid per hour on the bike and the run. Find out if they have a bottle exchange on the bike. If not, you're carrying it. Likewise determine how many aide stations are on the run.

It sounds like you have a good plan for bars on the bike and gels on the run. If its hot out, I'd be careful of the number of bars on the bike. Plus your fluid intake will get used to digest the solid bars. Gels work well when its hot.

Again, if its hot, you may want to conider regular salt tablets on the run. Just suck on them and spit them (two) out after a bit ( not very scientific, but right about the time you get sick of having them in your mouth. Don't chew or consume the whole tablets. Your stomach well get back at you if you do.

I wouldn't be shy about eating a bar early on during the bike. Consider that you've just spent between 30 to 45 minutes exercising. Your body needs the fuel.

Best of success to you and have a great race!

Rocketboy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did my 2nd half this weekend, so here are my quick thoughts. First, nutrition plan and hydration plan are really two different things - you have to independently plan your calories and your fluid. Second, I've found that 300 cals/hr on the bike is fine, and on the run (for me) less is better - I only took in about 200 cals in sports drink on my race on Sunday. Here's what I did - rereading this it sounds complicated, but if so it's only in the prep - it's dead-easy on race day which IMHO is the important part.

I started with water only for the first 20-30 mins, then brought on my sports drink. At 1hr and then every 30 mins after that I did a gel. I've abandoned power bars as they are just too messy and inconvenient. Last gel at 2:30 and from there out it was water only into T2 (my bike leg was 2:50, so adjust a bit if you're faster). I ended up having 3 bottles of sports drink for 450-500 cals, plus 4 gels to bring me to 900 for the bike. I drank an additional 4 bottles of water.

On the run, I carried a bottle of sports drink which I nursed for the first loop, but still took water at virtually every station. On the 2nd loop I was mostly water only but took some gatorade from the course if I needed it.

Despite all the fluid, I was still under-hydrated when I finished; it was hot (~90 at the end of the run) but not insane. This is a far higher fluid intake than I've ever needed in training, but then I've never done a full-length simulation in the same type of heat. So, just a bit of a warning that you may well need more fluid than you expect based on training.

My sports drink mix is 2/3 G2O and 1/3 Gatorade powder, with additional salt added to bring my target sodium consumption up to 600mg/hr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just some general input. If you have to eat breakfast you need to do it 3 hours before your race, plus if you fuel well in the days before by keeping glycogen stores full and fueling after your workouts then on race morning you can get by without breakfast since your body has enough glycogen, but don't give up sleep just to eat. You have enough energy to get you through the swim.

Second, 500 calories is too high, your body can't utilize all of those calories. No matter how many you burn your body can only replace them at a certain rate.

These suggestions are not mine, I got them by following the guidlines Hammer Nutrition has on their site. You can find them under the knowledge section of the site.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep stick with what you have been doing in training that works and you know it works for you..thats the key basically..good luck.

------------------------------------------------

Trying to find ways to pass the time.
Quote Reply