Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My debt to the French
Quote | Reply
I have to admit to a visceral dislike of the French. I can't explain it, and I'm not real proud of it, but I am a patriot, and the French have always bugged me.

However, like all Americans, I hate an ingrate. And the French deserve my gratitude.

Both of the bikes in my house are of French origin. My wife loves her Peugeot, and my Vitus is deservedly a classic. Thank you for our bikes, France.

Next, on the advice of the forum, we bought a French press last week. It's made by a company called "Bonjour," and the brochure said that it would allow us to enjoy the morning the way 57 million French do every day. We were not disappointed. Any culture that produces something as elegant as the French press is a culture to be admired.

Viva la France!

ps- Dave, we got the Peets on Monday, thanks a lot. We're looking forward to grinding it later this week.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: My debt to the French [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forget Petes... It's called Petes because it actually smells and taste like Peet Moss! Besides any self-respecting triathlete would obviously have to settle for KONA by default. As far as the French go, hey, they sure know how to put on a great race! What else is there that matters?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As an American, you should love the French for their help a couple hundred years ago. I, being a British subject, have a slightly different view on the matter. All is forgiven now, since their cooking is much better than English "cuisine", and I have never heard anyone talk about a fine Scottish wine.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: My debt to the French [jasonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As an American, you should love the French for their help a couple hundred years ago.

Naaah, that particular debt has been repaid with interest.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<<and I have never heard anyone talk about a fine Scottish wine.>>

But an aged single malt is an entirely different matter...

Mmmmmmm.

Brett
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I have never heard anyone talk about a fine Scottish wine. "

Ha! How true. Now all we need are some jokes about how tight the Scots are with their money. I have a Scottish surname. Goes back a hundred and fifty years or so though. Did you ever hear the joke about what would be the difference between European heaven and European hell?

Euro Heaven would have French chefs, German mechanics, British police, Italian lovers and everything would be organized by the Swiss.

Euro hell would have British chefs, French mechanics, German police, Swiss lovers and everything would be organized by the Italians.

"Fog Over English Channel - Continental Europe Isolated" - weather report from a British newspaper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They did a good job making my Vitus Carbone 9.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I enjoy their wines whenever I can.

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same here...I get my paycheck from the French as I work for a French company that has been propped up by the French government.

I've also spent time in France with my job...gone up deep into the Alsace region of the country...had wine and cheese and remarked at how small their hotel rooms and cars are....Been to Paris and done the whole Eiffel tower, etc....

They even wanted me to move there...I contemplated it but turned it down.

Vive La France
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"As an American, you should love the French for their help a couple hundred years ago." Oh we have repaid that one.

And as British subject you, and the French, should thank us for our help about 70 years ago.
Quote Reply
Re: My debt to the French [warren] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What happened in 1934?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: My debt to the French [warren] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are referring to WWII, it would not have mattered if you Yanks helped or not. The Germans "might" have taken Britain eventually, but they would have left after they got to Scotland and tried the local cuisine.

The food is good now thanks to our Indian friends. Nothing like a good Tikka Masala washed down with a Kingfisher.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't forget your deep fried Mars bar on the way home, with a bottle of Bru to wash it down!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://pavlov.psyc.queensu.ca/~psyc382/rockgold.html
(Norman Rockwell's "Do Unto Others")
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, but isn't it nice that there are so many different countries and cultures we have to appreciate. Just think, every place could be just like West Michigan, four seasons, bland food, bad roads, comotose drivers, and occasionally wonderful weather.

France is a wonderful and often misunderstood country (thank you very much newsmedia). I will visit as often as I can as I find the culture fascinating. Having said that, I find the British Isles equally captivating. Yes, the spices of the "empire" have made the food more palatable, but, they have one up on the French with their ales.

I could go on and on, but, diversity has its virtues.
Quote Reply