Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM MOO RIDERS and DANE CO. CYCLISTS: Please Read
Quote | Reply
I have been asked to publish this message on behalf of the Bicycle Federation of Wisconsin. It relates to the growing tension between localities in western Dane Co. and cyclists:

Dear Dane County Bicyclists:

Can’t we all just get along?

I’ve got a favor to ask on behalf of the bicyclists, motorists, and residents of Dane County…can we all try just a little bit harder to be nice to each other out there? As many of you know, there has been some uproar recently in Western Dane County over how bicyclists and motorists share the road. To be sure, there has been poor behavior out there from both sides…not everyone…but some folks have been less than law abiding or courteous on their bikes or in their cars.

I’d like to propose that we start over right now…take the high road…and make things right. I have been meeting with local officials in Western Dane County…and their concerns fall into the following major categories:
1. Concern about closing roads for race events and how this affects resident access to local services including mail delivery, garbage drop off, emergency vehicles, and general freedom of movement.
2. A feeling that they have not been included in the planning of special bicycle events or races and thus, were caught unaware. Included in this is concern over unexpected costs that the local communities might bear for event preparation, security, and clean up.
3. Resentment and safety concern over bicyclists riding in groups who do not obey the laws or are discourteous, including not stopping at stop signs, riding more than two abreast so as to block passing traffic, and not singling up when a car is trying to pass. Also concern about litter and rude behavior in general by bicyclists. There is also some concern about car parking in small communities for large informal ride groups.

I think that most of these issues are easily addressed through common courtesy and open communication. I am making an attempt to contact all event organizers who run rides in Western Dane County to encourage them to work with the locals as much as possible. If you know of an event to take place out there, please let me know about it (so far I am aware of the Horribly Hilly Hundred, the Right Stuff Century, the Ironman, and last year’s NCAA nationals). I would also encourage ride organizers to get down on paper the agreements with the locals…so that no one can say later “we weren’t told”. Be aware that, when you contact the local groups…contact villages, cities, county…AND TOWNS. Much of the concern is with regards to towns that feel out of the loop, even though they have jurisdiction over local roads.

What can you do?
1. Above all obey the laws. Stop at stop signs. Ride single file or two abreast only (this is the law…but try especially hard to obey the law if there are cars around). For motorists’ part…they should give you 3 feet of passing clearance and they should not try to pass you if it is not safe to do so because of road conditions or design. Motorists also need to drive the posted speed limit or slower if conditions warrant (like when they need to pass a bicyclist on a tough stretch of road).
2. Be courteous. Smile. Wave. Say hello. When a car is trying to pass…ride single file. Make it as easy as you can to allow cars to pass. Though you are not required to do so…consider pulling over for a second and letting the car pass if it is a particularly difficult stretch of road for passing.
3. If you are running an organized event…contact all local communities well in advance. Realize that you are a guest in their community…try to do all you can to make it pleasant for the community to have bicyclists around. Maybe there is a local girl scout troop that could sell cookies as a fundraiser at the event…try to build bridges.
4. If you have a club or informal group ride planned that will likely involve large groups of people who will need car parking…consider a quick call to the village or town office to warn them ahead of time. They may have a better option for parking to suggest…and calling them makes them feel that their opinion is being heard and their concerns addressed.
5. Report any harassment that you experience from motorists or illegal motorist behavior to the Dane County Sheriff. Try to get a license plate and be specific about the location of the incident. Though the Sheriff’s office will likely not be able to respond due to the low number of officers available to cover the region, the bicycling community needs to be able to document any of these types of incidents (Dane County Sheriff's Office, Sheriff Gary Hamblin, 115 W. Doty Street, Madison, Wisconsin 53703 (608) 284-6800. The contact for the Western part of Dane County is Lieutenant Tim Ritter at (608) 267-4936...for emergencies, call 911).

Questions? Ideas?
The bicycling community is diverse…the Bicycle Federation of Wisconsin would like to help in any way that we can to make Wisconsin a better place to bicycle. We are happy to provide any educational materials or talks…to attend meetings…and to act as a point of contact for addressing these issues. But…it is up to the people on the roads…both bicyclists and motorists…to make this thing work. Bicyclists and motorists both have equal rights and responsibilities on the roads. Education and communication is the first step. If we can all just try to be a little bit nicer to each other…I think this problem can go away and we can share the road safely and pleasantly. Please feel free to contact me, Marjorie Ward, Executive Director of the Bicycle Federation of Wisconsin, at 608-251-4456 or marjorie@bfw.org…or visit our website at www.bfw.org. For a copy of the laws in Wisconsin as they relate to bicyclists…check out “BikeSense: The Wisconsin Bicycle Operator’s Manual” page 33-34 at http://www.bfw.org/new_bfw/projects/BikeSenseDaneCo-2004-04-27_Pantone543.pdf (hard copies are available at the Bicycle Federation office at 106 E. Doty #400, Madison). You can order bulk quantities of bicycle law cards for free for your events and rides from the WisDOT at //www.dot.state.wi.us/business/publications/safetymaterials.htm
or call 608-246-3265.

Please…ride confidently, ride safely, ride lawfully, and ride courteously. Drive your car the same way. Thanks for reading this…please distribute widely and pass the word along.
Marjorie S. Ward Executive Director Bicycle Federation of Wisconsin 106 E. Doty Street, Suite 400 P.O. Box 1224 Madison, WI 53701-1224 Phone: 608-251-4456 Fax: 608-251-4594 Email: marjorie@bfw.org

Web: www.bfw.org
Last edited by: johnt: Jul 21, 04 7:18
Quote Reply
Re: IM MOO RIDERS and DANE CO. CYCLISTS: Please Read [johnt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure I understand how this applies to IM MOO riders? Am I going to have do dodge dick-head drivers during the race. (Of course I'm from Iowa so I'm proficient at dodging dick-head drivers). Or is this just an FYI.

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: IM MOO RIDERS and DANE CO. CYCLISTS: Please Read [triiowa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it is relevant because those training for IM MOO, like myself, are out on these roads training all the time. A lot of riders are arrogant and the townspeople are upset.

There has been talk here that some of the towns such as Cross Plains are not so keen on cooperating with races. I have heard that IMNA was to be meeting with them imminently and a course change may be required if the town does not permit the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I didn't phrase my question very well. Does this have any direct implications on the race? I.e. route changes, etc. I'm actually headed up to ride the course in two weeks, I'll watch my back! :)

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is/was caused by two earlier group rides one called the mammoth ride that I'm not too familiar with the other called the horribly hill hundreds that I took part in. It seems that the ride organizers and the county didn't communicate well with surrounding communities but planned the routes through their towns. The county was in full knowledge of the rides, I am assuming this because of police sheriff and fire/rescue vehicles being on site at intersections to direct traffic.

How this concerns you or anyone else doing IM Wisconsin is that these rides shared part of the IM course and now the people that live on the course are not happy with cyclists. This year I doubt it will be much of an issue, but future years for all these events may be under review. But I would think that $$$ would speak loudest and IM and these other events bring in a lot of cash to the local community.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I'm not sure I understand how this applies to IM MOO riders?" and

"Does this have any direct implications on the race?"

You give the impression of an arrogant rider. Of course it applies. You will be riding the course and should ride and behave with courtesy--just like the the drivers. It has obvious direct implications, IM is a guest of the area. A guest that brings in lots of $$, but nevertheless, a guest. If we go pissing the community off, then we may not be invited back.

One other plea you can pass to your support crews, please do not use paint on the roads. Use chalk so the community isn't reminded of a potential irritant for the next 364 days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, I am not affiliated with BFW. All my information comes from newspaper articles and other reports in our local Madison papers, as well as some gossip I hear in the tri community.

As I mentioned in my last post, I believe that IMNA is meeting with locals with the hope that the course will remain the same. But I also have heard that some localities may force a change.

You will be fine if you come to ride. BFW has been trying to calm the ire of a vocal group pf citizens who feel that some cyclists do not obey the rules of the road and are arrogant. Both are true to some degree.

BFW, and many I know, are hoping that those cycling the roads in the county will be good citizens with the hope that this will all die down and we can live in peace and harmony and have our IM course stay the same.

I should say that this is not IM specific. The course is on these roads because there is great cycling in these areas. Everyone cycles here, roadies, recreational cyclists, and triathletes alike. One town president has said the cyclists are taking over the town. Alarmist? Sure. But I also think that cyclist can at least stop at stop signs in their village.

You'll be fine cycling, have a great time. I think that BFW is just asking that you also be a good citizen when you are out there.
Quote Reply
Re: IM MOO RIDERS and DANE CO. CYCLISTS: Please Read [Bill Young] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bill,

How exactly do I give the impression of an arrogant rider. Since you don't know me, you seem to be making an awful lot of fucking assumptions about me based on two posts. And explain you're "of course if applies" comment. Are they changing the race course? Are there going to be people trying to run over racers...? If not, and if I follow the rules, I don't really care that some hick farmer gets upset about a bunch of cyclists riding on his highway. I was simply asking if this had any direct implications, such as a change in the course, etc. Where in my post did I give you the impression that I would "go pissing the community off"? For what it's worth, I don't think I am an arrogant rider, I got over that back in my Cat 2&3 days years ago. I follow the rules, and generally don't go out of my way to piss people off, but I have spent 15 years being run off the roads around Iowa by assholes that couldn't care less if they kill a cyclist, so don't ask me to feel sorry because someone's mail gets delievered late because of a race.

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I said you give the impression of an arrogant rider because johnt’s original post gave general common sense guidelines that should apply to all cyclists, which includes IM Moo'ers. How can you not see that it applies to you? That’s why I said “If we go pissing…” When one or a few cyclists behave poorly and ride with an attitude and piss off a community it affects all of us. I hope you’ll take a deep breath and then reread johnt’s original post. I’m done with this thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info! I have always had a good experience riding the IMOO course (great roads and courteous drivers > better than in IL!). I think you need to be courteous and follow laws everywhere you ride. Can expect truck drivers to share the road if you dont.

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Re: IM MOO RIDERS and DANE CO. CYCLISTS: Please Read [Bill Young] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First of all, John thanks for posting this. I have been following the situation from IL the last few weeks, after seeing Madison newspaper accounts of complaints from the villages. I believe the "last straw" was the very well attended Horribly Hilly Hundred last month. Lots of riders over lots of miles for lotsa hours.

Having said that, I have to say that in the 15+ times I have rode the loop and other parts of the course, there have been no issues at all. I have ridden during the week and on weekends, usually early in the day and except for 2 or 3 occasions, rode it solo. Maybe that helps. I do know that there are a lot of riders out there, some of the roads narrow enough that if you are 2 or especially three abreast you are probably causing some issues and hey lets face it, we all know cyclists (and drivers)who aren't the most tolerant of folks if someone is in "their way".

It is a great, technical, tricky, tough, fun, area to ride in and I hope things can work out. My guess is that they will ,but we should keep perspective on it all and see the big picture.

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: IM MOO RIDERS and DANE CO. CYCLISTS: Please Read [Mark M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this is just a result of more population in an area that is not used to it. Cross Plains, Black Earth, etc have been farm town out in the middle of nowhere for ever. Now they are getting all the big city people from Madison with their fancy bikes and girly outfits. Yeah! They need to realize that cyclists have right to the road also.

But there is still no freaking reason that cyclists need to blow stop signs which just freaks out the people in the cars and is an affront to the people who live there.

I have ridden parts or all of the IM course at least 20 times in the past two months. I have had no problems with any anger toward me either. But I have seen a whole lot of rude cyclists out there! And what is with the painting the roadway? Just do not do that - it is not cool at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bill,
Maybe we could substitute self absorbed for arrogant. In some cases it seems to fit better.
Quote Reply
Re: IM MOO RIDERS and DANE CO. CYCLISTS: Please Read [grumpyguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow...arrogant and self-absorbed all in one thread. I'm on a roll.

Okay, my questions were clearly misunderstood by several people.

I was simply asking for clarification of whether these issues are going to have any direct affect on the IM bike course. Such as a course change...

I was not making any sort of comment or judgement about the original post. I agree with what was said...for what that's worth. Personally, I don't think it will make a damn bit of difference, they are too many people on the road that simply don't care. I'm sorry if you disagree, but that's been my experience. People don't mind cyclists as long as they don't have to share the road with us. As far as community relations, that can't hurt.

As far as the self absorbed and arrogant comments...well you're an asshole, if it seems to fit better in this case. (Of course I don't mean that, I try to avoid personal attacks against people, at least until I get to know them :)...but I hope you see the point)

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, so apparently there is more going on here than I was aware of. Sorry if I came across the wrong way to anybody. I thought this was simply another bike vs. car issue, but I emailed my old college roomate about this, he lives right in the middle of this area just off the IM bike course. Here's his take on it (FYI, he and I raced together back in the day, he is a roadie to the core, but a great guy):

"The area in question is about 5 miles from our house. Lot's of pissed off people around here and with all the novice Triathlete's riding in the area things are getting pretty congested. No offense Chris I know you can handle your bike. There are a lot of people in the area every weekend plugging up a section of state highway 78. This is in addition to the recent NCAA race and The Horribly hilly hundreds have left a lot of people frustrated on both sides of the fence. Not to mention bikers peeing on garages. The roads are hilly and winding making it quite dangerous. I'm getting a little upset myself not because people on bikes are always hogging the road but mostly because they are not paying attention. I passed a group of triathlete's a few weeks ago, I could see one of them had a stiff link in their chain. There were actually 7 people standing there and I don't think any of them knew what to do, one of them was standing in the middle of the road and there was a car coming up from behind her. Get the F... out of the way!! I didn't yell anything but I rode on wondering what is going to happen if people like that continue to ride in the area. I guess I should have offered some help and tried to explain it's not safe to stand in the middle of the road. I won't be surprised to hear that someone has been killed it is getting that bad."

So apparently it's not an issue of too many bikes on the road, it's an issue of cyclists doing dumb things. Given that, I'd totally agree that we need to get our collective heads out of our butts; and do a little extra to make nice with the locals. Sorry about letting things get OT! :)

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hahaha

This is so roadie.

"Stupid triathletes can't ride bikes."

I never said you were arrogant. But you friend is!

What a jerk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where was that phrase used? Getting upset about the exact problems you talked about makes him a jerk...I guess I'm a jerk too. I get pissed when idiots go about screwing things up for all of us. It's not like this is the first time this has come up. His example simply highlighted an example of what you were talking about. 7 guys standing around in bike cloths blocking the road...doesn't matter who they are, all people driving by see is "f$%king bikers blocking the road".

Of course, he's got the standard roadie bias (I'm trying to teach him :) )...but I think the point remains. And, yeah he's a little arrogant, but don't tell me you don't feel the same way when you ride up on someone with a tri bike, swerving all over the road, or riding down the middle of the lane (or a roadie doing the swerving for that matter). It's the individual that is the problem, roadie or triathlete...we all just need to behave, and sometimes that starts with learning the rules (written and UNwritten) of the road.

Chris
Quote Reply