Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Time to Adapt to new Tri Bike
Quote | Reply
After reading the earlier thread "Painful transition- TT to Road bike" I started coming up with some questions.

I'm looking at a P3, Aegis T2 and a few other tri bikes this weekend. I'm curious how long it will take me to adapt from riding a TCR Composite with Jammer GT bars. I'm planning on using the new bike for two races in Sept (Oly & 1/2IM. I'm not too concerned with performance in these races as they are being used to help me build my racing plans for my IM debut in April.

Will I be able to get situated enough on the bike to race decently in 6-7 weeks?

In the long term will I be able to get it all sorted out in time for an IM in April?

I'm pretty sure I'll have enough time to get everything sorted out fit wise and power wise as I'll have a few lactate/power tests on the new bike between now and April. Mainly I'm being paranoid about my first IM and want to make sure I'm doing everything right (if there is such a thing).

Thanks

Painful transition- TT to Road bike article link - http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread
Quote Reply
Re: Time to Adapt to new Tri Bike [BNasty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just went from a giant to a saber and found that a good 80 miles or so with an allen wrench did the trick - also one legged drills on the trainer really helped me get dialed in and get my cadence back up in the new position
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I apologize in advance for sounding like a broken record, but it will depend on how (and who) you were fit.

This is what I mean:

There is the school of "Fit by Adaptation". This is when a fitter puts a person in a technically correct position (read Dan's stuff on this site to see what that looks like), steps back and says "VOILA! I declare you fit. Get used to it..."

Then there is the "Fit by Facilitation" school, where the customer is basically fitting themselves and the fitter is merely making changes to the bicycle's configuration and adjustment to facilitate the needs/desires/comforts/discomforts of the rider.

These two schools of thought represent extreme ends of a scale. Each customer should be individually fit along a continuum between the two schools of thought.

You shouldn't fully facilitate someone during a fit- they have to be willing to make some adaptation to a better riding posture.

By the same token, you can't expect a casual, entry level athlete to sit like Bjorn Andersson either. There has to be some reasonable combination of the two. The degree of the combination should be determined by an experienced triathlon bike fitter who understands what to listen for and look for when working with the customer.

I beleieve when the bike leaves the store you should be able to functionally ride an hour minimum with a lot of problems. If there are problems, the fit needs to be more "Facilitated". That is why we give people 1 year of free re-fitting.

Now, that said, it takes time to get accustomed to the position- and you have to invest that time before you start crying about your crotch hurting (so does mine) or your back and neck bothering you. That may not necessarily be all fit issues- it may be minor conditioning issues that should correct themselves in 4-6 weeks or about 600 miles.

Remember, bike fit is dynamic: Your position will change and (hopefully) evolve toward being better as time goes on.

At any rate, good luck shopping and enjoy your new bike!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Further to what Saint Thomas said, if you were fitted correctly in the first place, then your time to adapt to the new bike should be zero to minimal.

6-7 weeks is more than enough time to adapt to a completely new position, let alone minor tweaks.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply