Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TdF: Encrypted Radios?
Quote | Reply
During the coverage today, there was a bit on the team cars and the equipment. It was mentioned that the teams had scanners to listen in on other teams. Personally, I don't think this is very sporting, but if that is the situation, I would think that some teams (Postal?) would get encrypted radios to protect themselves. Is there such a thing?
Quote Reply
Re: TdF: Encrypted Radios? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
During the days of the Motorola sponsorship I was told by Motorola's Chief Scientist, Don Remboski, that the Motorola Team used a verson of secure "credit card" radio that cost nearly $10,000 and was also used by the Secret Service and the U.S. Diplomatic Secret Service.

If this is correct, I can tell you that these radios function in a number of ways, including rapid changing of frequencies and other technologies to scramble the message or make it difficult to intercept. They are extremely small and thin with a small digital keypad, almost like a calculator, on them. They use throat mikes, "bone" mikes, voice activated and PTT (push-to-talk) modalities. Their range is limited but can be enhanced by relay devices and is affected by mountains, magnetic fields, etc.

I don't know if the teams actually did, or still do, employ this technology.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Casey [ In reply to ]
Re: TdF: Encrypted Radios? [casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In a response to a thread on 2-way radios, Fredly posted the following about a commercially available HAM radio that is relatively afordable (http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...i?post=115362#115362):

Quote:

This is the unit most of the pro bike teams use. The best, period, and not much more money than the toy units you find in REI and such. It's the size of a credit card.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/0058.html

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Encrypted radios are used in some auto racing series but others, like NASCAR, ban encryption so fans can listen in. NASCAR publishes the channels each team uses and probably about 25% of the fans bring scanners to the races. During this year's Indy 500, a psycho fan actually was talking to one of the drivers during the race, which an even better argument for encryption then keeping your plans secret.
Quote Reply
Re: TdF: Encrypted Radios? [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I checked out the Alinco radios http://www.alinco.com/usa.html. They looked really cool, but I didn't see anything about encryption. I would think that with all the secrecy behind stategy and how everyone is feeling, keeping your communications confidential would be critical.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is cool. I wonder how easy these are to use and how they would work on a group ride.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Makes you wonder if they actually use the "Mosquito Repeller".

Maybe LA actually discovered how to use it properly ;-)

adrialin

(BOMK, racing drug and supplement free since 1985)
Quote Reply
Re: TdF: Encrypted Radios? [adrialin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In one of the "Ask Bob" segments on OLN he mentioned that they do not encrypt nor listen in on other teams, since there wouldn't be much useful information anyway. Commented that mostly what you hear on Postals is rock and roll music. So I suppose T-Mobile would be mostly polka's, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was talk last year about USPS going to more of a BlueTooth solution.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: TdF: Encrypted Radios? [Dapper Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard that also. I was wondering if that meant that Postal 'broadcasts' music when they are not actually talking to try to fool the scanners. I assume scanners work by 'locking in' on frequencies that become active (start broadcasting), so if you are always broadcasting, the scanner won't know that you are really talking. I guess if you have the background music going all the time, just somewhat quietly, Johan and the team would just 'talk over' the music, but I can't believe that the rider's batteries would last very long constantly receiving. Hmmm.
Quote Reply
Re: TdF: Encrypted Radios? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom, what kind of "group rides" are you doing these days that you need secure comms?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They all talk in code. Virenque is "sugar daddy", Ullrich is "der Bratwurst", Tyler was "hang ten" for his chin surfing prowess, he was "skinny puppy" prior to that , Landis is "lil boy bleu" and Lance is "Doper" so nobody suspects him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am pretty sure that it is a (the equivalent of) federal offense to eavesdrop on any type of communication in France...

they would actually face prison time for this...that's a big risk...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

just because it was on TV, doesn't mean it is true. I don't know about the Domina Vacanze team, but I've never seen a scanner in the Team CSC cars. And it's true that there is very little useful stuff coming over the earphones, mostly relaying splits that they hear from race radio (so the other teams know that already) and things like calling riders back for water, pushing riders to hang in there, etc. I've never heard Riis tell riders ove the radio to attack, or anything like that.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Re: TdF: Encrypted Radios? [gerard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it just me, or does the whole concept of using radios take the "sport" out of cycling?!

I think it would be much more competitive without them (and a level playing field for all teams)...
Quote Reply
Re: TdF: Encrypted Radios? [Tri girl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this was an argument brought up by many ex-pros and commentators...

for instance, if people were listened less to the radio, and watching more, they would have seen that Lance in 2001, was faking to feel crap :-)

We had a TT in southern NM and Jeannie Longo was there. We had a chat and she was amazed that anyone in the peleton couldn't see his face was telling something but his legs were great...
Quote Reply