Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

drafting benefit just outside the zone?
Quote | Reply
I think that I observed this during my last race. When people passed me, when I dropped out of the drafting zone, but stayed just outside of it(about 3-5 bike lengths), it seems as though I was still getting a bit of a drafting benefit. This wouldn't last very long, since most people who passed me continued to pull away, but it got me to wondering whether there is a real benefit to staying just outside someone's draft zone.

Or do you think I was just pushing harder to stay with the person passing me?

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: drafting benefit just outside the zone? [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you. I think there may be some periferal (sp?) drafting effect depending on wind speed and direction. It's tough to say.

I think there is a significant psychological benefit from taking pace also, although there might be a commensurate downside. I lost a small sprint triathlon two years ago when I caught the leader on the bike and then just "settled in". Me being able to catch him for well over 1:00 in less than 10 miles tells me I probably could have put another :30 on him by T2. But when I caught him I sort of sat up and thought, "Well, I'm at the front of the race, this is fine".

It's a mistake to take pace from someone when you may be stronger than them. However, if they are just a triffle stronger than you it is a good strategy.

Jeff Morrow recently did this to me at the Ann Arbor triathlon with masterful precision. He is a faster athlete than me in the water and on the run, but I am just a hair stronger on the bike. He saw me go by and hung on like a bulldog. I thought I had dropped him. Nope- he's too strong, too smart and too tough. He did me in on the run quite easily. For Jeff, that was a perfect example of taking pace.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: drafting benefit just outside the zone? [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is certainly some benefit from the draft just outside the legal limit. That is why the pro draft zone is/was bigger and why they tried the stagger rule. Personally, I think the stagger rule is good, if combined with a 10m draft zone. Besides the psychological benefit of having someone to pace off of, there is a benefit to 'legal drafting.'
Quote Reply
Re: drafting benefit just outside the zone? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indeed, there are benefits from the legal form of drafting being discussed here and the benefits get higher as speed increases and as the head wind increases. The other Legal drafting that can be done is when you are over-taking a steady stream of slower cyclists. The is a fairly common thing with slow-swimmer-fast-runner types. You have 15 sec to pass, so you might as well take full advantage of it! My understanding is that marshalls are looking for movment/non-movement. As long as you are moving through the draft zone, you should be OK.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: drafting benefit just outside the zone? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This moving through the draft zone was pointed out to me by an official, so, I started to take advantage of it. Previously, I just pulled out a long way back, now, I stay behind the rider until I get within a bike length or so, and zip around them faster than I usually did. It's a much quicker pass. I also quickly get in front of the rider I just passed to repay the favor....even if they are in my AG!

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: drafting benefit just outside the zone? [yaquicarbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems to be within the rules, but you have to be very careful, because not all offcials see it this way. Further confusion in this otherwise confusing sport: Drafting on the swim OK. Drafting on the run OK, Drafting on the bike is not allowed, except, here, here, here and here!!!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: drafting benefit just outside the zone? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
see, now if you dropped a couple of pounds, you might have won!

cut out the beer!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: drafting benefit just outside the zone? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I'm legal, as the people I pass in the manner discussed might as well be sitting still. If we are going anywhere near the same speed, I'm much more careful to pull out without being in the no-draft zone...if for no other reason than I want to make sure I'm really ready to pass them in 15 seconds and stay past them...it's embarrassing to pass someone and realize you're going too hard to maintain speed, so they come back around you. Staying out of the draft to make sure you're catching them quickly enough to make a pass stick ensures the dreaded re-pass doesn't occur.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: drafting benefit just outside the zone? [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys know I've never even tasted an alcoholic beverage. Donuts and ice cream are my downfall. Pizza too.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a persistent misunderstanding that the pro rule has 2 parts: stagger (part one) and 10 meter long draft zone (part 2). Not true. It is one rule and they are enforced together. Feel free to refer to the USAT rules or your local Cat 2 or above official.

Although I don't have a reference handy, I believe there has been extensive research done and there is a draft benefit for quite a ways past the age group distance of 7 meters.
Quote Reply
Re: drafting benefit just outside the zone? [survivor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so ,if this is legal, does it make good racing sense to sit back of someone if you know they are a slightly faster pace than you?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: drafting benefit just outside the zone? [survivor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My understanding is that you (a pro) cannot be directly behind the person in front of you, no matter how far ahead they are, but you must be at least 10m behind the person in front of them (2 in front of you). I know a few pros have gotten penalties for not staggering with the person who was significantly ahead of them, but the next person on the road. This allows for pairs of riders to be riding essentially side by side, but 10+m behind the pair in front of them.

B1
B2

B3
B4
Quote Reply
Re: drafting benefit just outside the zone? [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes.

Or to 'work together' with someone the same speed, by taking turns at the front, just as you would if you were 'really' drafting.
Quote Reply
Re: drafting benefit just outside the zone? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"You guys know I've never even tasted an alcoholic beverage. Donuts and ice cream are my downfall. Pizza too. "

Seriously? Even I've had a sip of my dad's beer. And a sip of wine at dinner. And a shot of vodka at..

never mind
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eric,

When do you ever find anyone your speed to work with?

Gar

"Why do they keep inventing new ways to celebrate mediocrity" -
Quote Reply
Re: drafting benefit just outside the zone? [3car] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Every once in a while, some young punk from a earlier wave thinks he's fast and hammers with me for a while, then disappears. ;-)

That guy from New Zealand at Interlochen helped me psychologically. I never got close enough to get a draft, but having a carrot out there helped me push harder on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Correct: the stagger rule goes for an infinite distance, not just 10 meters. If elites are racing, and are spread out on a flat course, an official can see upwards of a quarter mile ahead, and should see a stagger placement from the cylclist behind the one in front. the stagger only needs to be at the least a shoulder width apart, and this can be easily seen from a long distance to a short distance, and remember too, that Elites can pass on the right of the left so their stagger goes on based on the rider in front........who may be changing sides of the roadway. This creates an almost ballet like swinging of the riders out ahead of the official on a motorcycle. It gets really interesting when there are many Elites in a stagger rules race, who are of the same ability......then watching the 10 meters and stagger, and then IF they get mixed into an age group race ( Powerman) that is even more challenging and interesting also, as they must not draft the age grouper either.
Quote Reply