Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chain Cleaning
Quote | Reply
Rookie question. Can you clean your bike chain without taking it off? I know ideally that you should, soaking it in some kind of solvent but at this point, I don't know how to take it off and with IMLP in 5 days don't want to start screwing with that now anyway. Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Chain Cleaning [Herschel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will probably inspire apolexy in the purists, but for interim cleaning I squirt the chain with Simple (or Simply?) Green and rinse with hose. When particularly grimey, I give it a little brushing. Not near as much fun as spinning the rear cog with the pressure washer at the car wash, but it works and less likely to damage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Nashbar Chain Cleaner, it is cheap and does a great job. I fill it with Citrus Degreaser and that is it.

Here is the link:

http://www.nashbar.com/...oreid=&pagename=
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many people will argue that you need to take your chain off to clean it but I don't believe it is necessary if you clean it regularly.

Get some shop rags and spray the chain down with WD-40 to get the dirt and grime off, make sure that you get the top and bottom as well as both sides. Then dry the chain off the best that you can with a clean rag. After that, lube it with your favorite lube, I use Boeshield T-9.

Make sure that the chainrings and sprockets are clean too. I typically change my chain twice a year that way the chain stretch doesn't affect the sprockets and chainrings too much.

Good luck in LP

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go get some Prolink. Pedal backward while hosing the chain down with the Prolink. Pedal backwards for a couple of minutes then, whilw still turning the crank, use some rags to wipe the chain clean. Put a light coating on the chain then ride it around the block. After every ride put a light coating of Prolink on and you will have a clear chain till the chain wears.

Taking off the chain is pure %100 superstion.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get yourself a quicklink. It lets you remove your chain in about 2 seconds and putting it back on is almost as fast.
Quote Reply