Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gearing/Cadence Question
Quote | Reply
Perhaps I am off-base with even asking this question, but:

Assume, for the sake of argument, that a combination of your small front chainring and a rear cog (call it the 1/17 Combination), and your large front chainring and a rear cog (call it the 2/21 Combination), will each produce the exact same MPH if driven at the same cadence (I assume that this would also equate to power as measured in watts??). Is there any real life advantage to using the 1/17 over the 2/21, or vice-versa? Mechanical, muscular, aerobic, other? For example, is it "easier" (more efficient) even though it might not appear to make sense from a physics sense, to spin the 1/17 at 90 cadence because the front gear you are driving is smaller and the cycle is shorter (even though the "work" might be the same), than to spin the 2/21 at 90 cadence.

Thanks. No guessing. You have five minutes. This is half your grade for the semester.

DFL (but not on the bike or run)
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing/Cadence Question [DFL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There should be no physical difference but I like to use the large front chainring when possible (more teeth in the chain). Probably more important though is to pick the combination that crosses the chain the least.
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing/Cadence Question [graigcone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Probably more important though is to pick the combination that crosses the chain the least.
Meaning chain wear issue, and maybe a little more friction ("work")?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, but I'm no expert. It's also a confidence thing. I feel more confident working hard when my chain isn't crossed and may possible kick out of gear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that I saw a simmilar question on velonews.com a while back in the tech/ask zin area. No real difference but whichever has the better chain line will be slightly more efficient.

Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing/Cadence Question [NJbiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bump
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While there may be slightly more friction if the chain is off-line (crossed) there is also slightly more friction if the chain is going around a smaller chain-ring (more bend). For most of us it is way to small to worry about.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've also read the small ring accelerates slightly faster (preferred by sprinters) and the large ring is better for maintaining speed (preferred by time trialists). I don't think this effect is noticable to the average AG triathlete.

Personally, I just try and keep the chain in a straight a line as possible.

The same gear-inches in a large chainring compared to the small chainring is the same to the rider's legs (unless there is a driveline friction difference). There isn't any difference in acceleration in either chainring...you're accelerating BOTH chainrings all the time that you pedal, regardless of whether the chain is on the large or the small ring. Same with the rear cogs. Don't make it more complicated than it is. No difference here.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing/Cadence Question [yaquicarbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everybody. I didn't want to get too esoteric. I just wanted to make sure that this wasn't one of those well-established principles everyone knows, that I hadn't run into yet, which would be eminently possible, since I don't know much about cycling or anything else, either.
Quote Reply