Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Iban Mayo and Jakob Piil aren't going to start today's stage
Quote | Reply
And this isn't a spoiler. "Oh no I wanted to hear Bob say Piil and Mayo didn't start today's stage." Yeah right.

"Dane Jakob Piil has pulled out of the Tour de France because of a knee injury, his CSC team says. "He's suffering from a muscle problem in the knee and won't start tomorrow's stage," explained team director Bjarne Riis on Monday."

http://www.eurosport.com/...6083_Sto615346.shtml

12 H 07 - Mayo's Reason For Retiring...
One of the big pre-race favourites, Iban Mayo, went for a ride during yesterday's rest day. He was not happy with his form and has opted to abandon the race.

12 H 04 - Racing In Stage 15
Jean-Marie Leblanc has waved the start flag from the race director's car. Stage 15 has officially begun with 158 riders still in the race.
The two missing riders are Iban Mayo and Jakob Piil.
Last edited by: freestyle: Jul 20, 04 3:39
Quote Reply
Re: Jakob Piil isn't going to start today's stage [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good Stuff, good stuff! Let's go Lance

David J

david
asc-arizona state cycling
tribemultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Jakob Piil isn't going to start today's stage [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, disappointing. Piil was very impressive over the opening week. I read someting to the effect that he spent 260 km in breakaways. I had tipped him for overall "Most Combative Rider".

It is a shame to see him go.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Jakob Piil isn't going to start today's stage [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard he spent more along the lines of 400+K in breakaways.

It's a shame about Mayo though, I was hoping he could atleast win tommorow's Mountain TT.
Quote Reply
Re: Iban Mayo and Jakob Piil aren't going to start today's stage [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a shame for both of them. The lesson for me- even the pros have problems hitting the taper/peak cycle correctly. I'm sure Mayo is happy to have his Dauphine win instead of nothing at all, but I'm equally sure he'd trade that in a second for a third place on GC at the Tour. Maybe (hopefully) next year.

Ken
Quote Reply
Re: Jakob Piil isn't going to start today's stage [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Wow, disappointing. Piil was very impressive over the opening week. I read someting to the effect that he spent 260 km in breakaways. I had tipped him for overall "Most Combative Rider".

It is a shame to see him go.

Shouldn't Robby McEwen be the most combative rider of all times because of his aggressive riding - always sprinting with his elbow in his competitor's face.

regards,

Frank

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Quote Reply
Re: Iban Mayo and Jakob Piil aren't going to start today's stage [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like Mayo peaked in June! So much for the predictions this year.

Who thinks Basso has a shot at it?
Quote Reply
Re: Iban Mayo and Jakob Piil aren't going to start today's stage [Gary Tingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Basso is still pretty young...podium probably...but look out for him in a year or two...and with Riis as Team director, he can't go wrong...bummer Jan didn't go to boot camp at CSC and have Riis kicking his ass to keep the pastry in the pastry shop...
Quote Reply