Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kaiman Goggles
Quote | Reply
Anybody have any trouble with Aquasphere Kaiman goggles tearing at the eyepiece? They have a wonderful fit and feel and stay very dry inside. I keep them in separate container from a pair of sunglasses I had, so they wouldn't flop around and crush or bend the seals BUT when I put them on just before a spirnt on Sunday morning, the flexible center piece between the eyes was about 90% torn through. THey made it through the swim, but they are only six weeks old. That don't make it!

I like 'em so much I would get another pair if I thought this was an isolated thing, but if this had been the morning of my IM ocean swim, and it happened after I was in the water...well, I would be pissed.

Anyway--you guys--any Kaiman goggle problems?
Quote Reply
Re: Kaiman Goggles [DFL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most people I know who've tried them love them, and although I have heard complaints about durability issues, I *think this has been addressed. I'm not really sure. Bobo did a review of them a while back, available here: http://www.bobozone.com/review_kaiman_goggle.htm

I have yet to try them myself, being quite happy with my Sweedes. I'm curious about the new XP goggle that Demerly et al have been raving about however. For open water swims, they could be interesting.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used mine 3-4 times a week for the last 18 months. I like them a lot. I noticed Saturday before a Oly that there was a very slight tear/crack (5% torn through) in the inside center of the nose piece, but they still worked fine. If it matters, I never leave mine in the car, they stay at room temperature.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's common for them to break at the nose piece or sometimes to leak at the edges of the lens. I haven't heard of any tearing at the eyepiece. I work at a specialty running store and sell a lot of Kaimans as well as using then myself. I warn people that the durability isn't as good as say most of the TYR or Speedo goggles. But people don't care. The Kaiman's are so comfy and have such great peripherall vision. You buy them, enjoy them and if they break (my last pair just gave out after 8 months of service) you buy a new pair. I believe they warrantee them for a year if they do break. I got mine replaced yesterday through the rep.

The nosepiece problem was supposedly recently fixed with a new mold. I haven't seen many coming back recently so that's probably the reason.

Yesterdays race, top three men all wore Kaimans and at my Masters swim we had 5 out of 6 of the people in our lane in Kaimans.
Quote Reply
Re: Kaiman Goggles [Bill Young] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I left a pair on the front seat of my car last summer and they melted... Very sad. Bought another set, though. Love them. No tearing on mine which are now just about a year old.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My understanding (via Aqua Lung, parent company) is that there may have been a problem with early models. My further understanding and experience has been that we haven't seen this issue.

So far with the new stuff, so good. I wonder if the retailer you got them from had a substantial inventory left over from a few months go...

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Kaiman Goggles [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aqua Lung?

Mine tore right in the center of the nose piece. I loved them, though, and I'd buy them again, but for now I'm going to try the new XPs.
Quote Reply
Re: Kaiman Goggles [Travis S. Mock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I think I have gotten the straight story and all in all you guys have been very helpful. The old mold made them where they joined in the middle, which created a weak point. Supposedly they have fixed this. The ones I have, have keepers on the sides, but the pair my GF got do not. This may be a clue to whether you are getting old or new mold.

I also liked the idea of saving them for racing, or having two pair, one just for the races.

You guys are the best-est!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem. Tore at the nose bridge at 4 months old. I sent them in and had a new pair within a few days, no questions asked.
Quote Reply
Re: Kaiman Goggles [tim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its great they do that, but what is wrong with RECALLING ALL THE BAD ONES. The theory must be, if no one complains, F*** 'em.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the only goggle I use now. I always keep a couple of spare pair around "just in case". So far I haven't had any of them tear but after a number of months in the pool they don't seem to seal as well as when newer. Rinsing in fresh water after use and periodically washing pool residue off them with dish detergent seems to make the silicone seal better.

Richard
Quote Reply