Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tom is here to motivate you losers!
Quote | Reply
Tom D. gave me my best laugh of the weekend, and he wasn't even there.

I ran into one of my TNT alumni teammates after the Clark Lake tri on Sunday. She related a bike lesson experience with Tom during which he encouraged her to sign up for Clark Lake. She tried to pass, claiming very little training, which is true. Tom responded in his comforting, shouldabeen a doctor beside manner that no, she probably shouldn't race. Then he asked if she had a basement. When she responded affirmatively, he suggested that perhaps she should just go sit in her basement instead of racing.

Well, she did show up and sign up and finish. Sell the bikeshop Tom, and start a new career as a motivational speaker!

And now it appears that Tom was planning to be there but pursuaded himself not to. Tom, do you have a basement?
Quote Reply
Re: Tom is here to motivate you losers! [davejakes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I have a basement, and I was in it doing laundry after driving part way to the race, thinking I saw an ex and then taking the next exit off the freeway.

The extent of the emotional/psychologial torment I went through in the break-up was pretty substantial- and that is a polite understatement.

The person I broke up with is a cruel, manipulative person who willfully acted to inflict emotional distress on me, and briefly succeeded.

So I will go ahead and exercise my choice to not even chance being in geographical proximity to her, as I truly despise her and her conduct speaks for itself.

In (some perverse version of) fairness, she probably says the same thing about me.

And, as far as my participation in the sport, I was doing triathlons in January this year outside the U.S. And November. And March. I've raced either 9 or 10 times since November.

So, I figure I'm entitled to a "personal day" off.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, and by the way, I might suggest (and prefer) you don't refer to these people as "losers".

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And thirdly, thanks for your kind credit for me spending two hours with a customer to insure they knew how to use their bicycle safely and competently, I appreciate the plug.

-No good deed goes unpunished.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tom is here to motivate you losers! [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom, my similar comments in the Nautilus post were intended as a joke, and I do hope that you did not take them otherwise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry Tom, I was kidding. Except about your basement.

The losers statement was in reference to a radio ad in which a fraud motivational speaker starts out with, "I'm here to motivate you losers." It was in reference to your unique motivational style. Certainly not in reference to anybody who tris. I guess I listen to too much WWJ.

I think Jill sort of appreciated your motivational psy-op, even though she might not admit it. You may have been the only person in the world who could have gotten her to do that race.

We also talked about how valuable you would be as a TnT coach, which I know you considered. We could use a coach who does more than assign a workout mileage schedule.

As for not wanting to share the same square mile with this ex, I guess I can understand it, but if you would just point her out, I think the rest of us, who appreciate your tri attendance, could persuade her she would rather be elsewhere.

On the other hand, your no-show allowed me to finish solidly in the top half of my age group, 17/35. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ahh, you know you guys are all cool.

And, slow as I have been, we're in different age groups. With Ariano Rosa, Jeff Morrow and a bunch of other very fast 40+er's out there I am kind of consigned to the bottom half of the top ten in my AG at best. At least this year.... :)

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You keep referring to yourself as "slow" and I'll continue to feel comfortable with the term "loser".
Quote Reply
Re: Tom is here to motivate you losers! [AmyMI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel pretty slow and porky this year. At least I have something to work on over the winter.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom -

When you exited off the freeway en route to Clark Lake, you should have turned north and headed to Interlochen. You were there in spirit because people were talking about you. Let me explain.

First, as I have a new swank Bikesport skin suit, whenever I see another one on the course, I yell a few words of encouragement. I got a thank you from "Michelle" and her parents after the race for my words of encouragement. I remember her name because my and her share the same one and my wife is from near where Michelle and her parents now live.

Next, when "Bonnie" caught me on the bike leg, she said that she thought I was you. I think she was just being nice to me because of my outfit as my pitiful biking in nothing like yours. Her entree into my little peleton was quite eventful as she promptly starting informing the other bikers that they had to spread out. She and I were both a little pissed at the drafting going on - especially because we were doing the work. Bonnie also mentioned that she is craving a Bikesport skin suit as she thinks they are cool - - - and was raving about her new and improved bike fit courtesy of you.

Third, I briefly met Eric Fernando, who had nice things to say about your shop.

Thought you would get a kick out of that info - I did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
With Ariano Rosa, Jeff Morrow and a bunch of other very fast 40+er's out there I am kind of consigned to the bottom half of the top ten in my AG at best. At least this year.... :) This is my first (and last) year in the 35 - 39 AG. I figured that I would have some sort of advantage moving up to the 40 -44 AG next year. But, I have checked the results for Ann Arbor and Waterloo and find that I would have placed worse with fewer entrants in both races. So, you needed worry about my moving up to your AG next year.
Quote Reply