Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM's next year
Quote | Reply
I've mentioned time and again I'm doing IMFL this year. I've never been in a race I didn't enjoy... and, so far... the longer the better.

So... I have a problem. Without having done my first IM yet - I'm trying to figure out what races I'll do next year.

Since Lake Placid is only a few hours drive from my house I would very much like to do LP next year. But, how do I shell out 400 for another IM when I haven't done my first yet!?

Opinions? I don't want to be left without an IM next year! (especially if I do like it... i'm assuming i will)
Quote Reply
Re: IM's next year [thisbetc621] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my advice would be to pass on signing up for LP for now if you're still on the fence, and sign up for a later IMNA half-ironman race with slots for 2005 LP race, say 1/2 IM Cali. in the case of 1/2 IM Florida, you could have easily claimed a slot for one of the other IM races for this year, without having to worry about a roll down. the only exception was for Canada, understandable due to the high demand, but anyone with a check in hand could have easily picked up a spot for this year's running of CDA, LP, MOO, or FL. check the website for qualifying races. IMO better than committing couple of hundred for non-refundable portion, if you want to see how you feel after IMFL. good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: IM's next year [thisbetc621] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CDA was open until December I think - not sure about how fast Lake Placid filled up. You can monitor the sign ups, so you do not have to make a decision now. My first was CDA this year and decided to sign up again for next year.
Quote Reply
Re: IM's next year [Jason D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe that Placid was closed out by Thursday morning, maybe it was Wednesday morning - less than 80 hours after, give or take.
Quote Reply
Re: IM's next year [RSum716] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I confess that I do not know how the 'slots' availability works - are you saying that by racing in certain 1/2 IMs, there will be slots available for Ironman races that have already filled up? Is it more money?
Quote Reply
Available Slots [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can qualify for slots in the full races at a number of venues throughout the continent. For example, at Muskoka in men's 35-39 there were 2 slots for LP, Moo, and FL and 4 or 5 for Canada. The slots just roll down until they are all claimed and you have to pay for it on the spot. This is how I got my IM FL slot last year. This year I didn't take a slot so it rolled down to someone else. If you would like to get a IM Canada slot the place to be is Peterborough since this year they had 20 for the race and only 18 were claimed (mostly because it was July 11th so this doesn't give you much time to prepare).
Quote Reply