Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Leg strain (vastus medialis), need input
Quote | Reply
I hurt my vastus medialis, the teardrop shaped muscle on the inside of the thigh just above the knee (according to Google) during a Oly this weekend and appreciate any constructive thoughts. I'm a long-time runner, did an IM last year and have I’ve been consistently training for a HIM (cancelled due to wildfire) the last 6 months and was looking to do another Oly in 3 weeks. I was having a good, hard race Saturday. About 4 miles into the trail run I had what I thought was a sharp and somewhat painful cramp in what I now know is the vastus medialis. I eased-up slightly, but continued running pretty hard. The initial pain subsided and allowed me to finish the race. After the race it felt tight, but didn’t really hurt. As time went by, it got tight and hurt on steps or hills—especially going down. It is sore to the touch. Flat walking is okay. I iced it repeatedly Saturday evening and yesterday (also a few visits to the hot tub). No workout yesterday. Same symptoms persist today. Easy 30 minute spin and very easy 30 minute treadmill run this morning with no pain. One Internet source said “You may have to cease all training for 1-4 weeks depending on the severity of the injury. (Not a good answer, but if necessary, so be it.) Initial treatment should consist of an ice pack. Anti-inflammatory such as Ibuprofen will help to release the swelling. The gentle use of the quadricep stretch is a vital aspect of the treatment regime.

Should I lay off biking or running until pain from stepping up/down subsides? Thanks for any input.

Editted to clarify training history.
Last edited by: Bill Young: Jul 19, 04 14:32
Quote Reply
Re: Leg strain (vastus medialis), need input [Bill Young] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi - I had near crippling VMO problems, much as you describe, took me forever and a good PT guy to sort it out. Turned out my VMO and other muscles were quite weak, so that while my quads to run me into the ground, the VMOs couldn't keep up. Several things I'd recommend: 1) stretch/roll on it/massage - you need to work the inflammation and aggravation out of there. You can massage it out with your hands, or if you have a foam roller, use that on the VMOs; if not, maybe a tennis ball or (if you're really hard core) baseball bat or rolling pin. That will help the muscle to relax - it's going to hurt like heck at first, but then get better. 2) strengtheing - you need to find some exercises, both VMO and balance specific. A good starter is standing on one foot, bend that knee and sort of like you are sitting in a chair, go down and back up again. Keep your knee over your foot, don't let it go in front. Core strength program is the best, yoga is good too - I had other weaknesses (glute med, for example) that put additional strain on the VMO. Also, if you don't have orthopedics, see a podiatrist and see if you need them - the rule in my house is if the house is on fire, I save my orthopedics and then go back in for my husband.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Am very familiar with this injury, have some exercises that should be able to help you out. Drop me a line,
Quote Reply
Re: Leg strain (vastus medialis), need input [sproutie18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sproutie18, thanks for the input. A gentle rub causes me to flinch right now, so I'm sure I'll be crying like a baby tonight if I can force myself to give a real rub.
Quote Reply
Re: Leg strain (vastus medialis), need input [tifreak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks tifreak, I will give you a call later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't go aggressively massaging it when it's in the acute stage...you've got some damage there that needs some time to stabilize. Ice is great. Gentle ice massage may be appropriate, but, don't go crazy rubbing out a knot that may be there...not yet. That may be a good thing to do at some point, but not this soon.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was out for a loooooonnnnngggg time with this one also. I just kept starting back to soon w/o the suffiicient strength and kept re-agravating the injury. Mine was caused by extremely tight IT pulling the knee outwards stressing the already weak VMO/adductor area. Did PT and now it's been fine all season. Be careful or it will never get better on it's own.
Quote Reply