Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HELP - I need a good kick in the ass
Quote | Reply
I'm scheduled to do IMC - my first IM - in a bit over a month. I've trained hard for a long time and have been really excited about doign this race, up till this weekend.

Now I'm starting to come up with a bunch of reasons to cancell. Hard time making arrangements to get to the race, short on cash, am I really trained well enough, yada yada yada.

My guess is that these feelings are probably normal. I do feel pretty shitty physically, but realize that that is due to the training volume. Of more concern is the fact that I'm starting to feel shitty emotionally.

Come on boys and girls - I need your help. Pull those legs back real far and give me a swift, hard kick in the ass for motivation. Any help greatly appreciated.

Simply foolish, very foolish

http://www.clevetriclub.com

rob reddy
Quote Reply
Re: HELP - I need a good kick in the ass [Foolish Tri Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you are falling into the classic IM training trap.

Overtrain
Feel like crap
Think you aren't training enough
Rinse, repeat

I'd recommend taking a short break to recover and reflect on what you are doing and why. Remember, this should be fun. Go do a sprint race. Hang out with some tri-friends in a non-training way. IMC is 40 days away, you aren't going to make any huge performance leaps in your training before the race (except by resting). Look at your workouts (every one), and think about why you are doing it, what are you trying to accomplish, and decide if it's necessary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing my first 1/2 IM in two weeks and I feel the same way - (OK I assume a 1/2 is about 5 times easier than a full but I'm still scared)

Do what I am doing: Just suck it up and go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
efernand is right. This is supposed to be something we do for fun. You're not obligated to do an IM, and no one will think less of you if you don't(except perhaps yourself.) However, what will you think in 5 weeks when you are all rested up and fell great, and are then kicking yourself in the ass for not doing the race?

You have forty days until race day. That is plenty of time to recover, get your last big workouts in, and taper well. If you are following the six week taper, then this week would be a big volume week, but if you need rest, you should get rest. Like they say, you're better off going into a race 20% undertrained than 1% overtrained. I have IMUSA on Sunday. Six weeks ago, I felt like utter crap. Then I had a recovery week, and started my taper, and I am feeling better now than I have in a long time. I actually believe that I can do this.

Don't psyche yourself out before you even get to the race. You have too much time and money invested in it already. Get some recovery, get your head on straight, and remember that you are doing this because you want to, not because somebody is forcing you to.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: HELP - I need a good kick in the ass [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You do sound overtrained.

Revisit the things that inspired you to start; watch some IM videos.

What's worse than DNF? DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not convinced that a kick in the ass is what you really need. Training-wise, the hay is practically in the barn. Just relax and stick to your plan. The objective isn't to feel ready now, it's to feel ready a month from now. Try not to let excessive doubt and uncertainty leading-up to the race undermine the many hours of preparation you've put in. Besides, this is only one race. Assuming your motivation is pure, you'll be back to do another one, only with the huge benefit of being able to apply everything you've learned this time around.

My two cents worth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suggest you back out now. Who did you think you were kidding? You're no Ironman, real triathletes do that kind of distance, not posers. You probably wouldn't finish anyway, loser. Loser! Loser! Loser!

(that was what I had to tell myself in the final weeks up to my first Ironman in order to get my fighting spirit back) Nobody tells me I'm a loser, not even me! It worked.

You should be feeling a bit confused right now. Relax, you'll be fine. Stop whining and just show up on race day. The race is the easy part next to the training and stepping up to the starting line.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the only reason you should back out is if you're injured and the race will make you injured worse. if your knee is begging you to let up, you shouldn't go. everything else is fair game and all the voices in your head before the race are actually part of the race. your ironman has already started.

http://www.barefootrunning.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, bend over and brace yourself. My daughter the soccer player is going to pinch kick for me as I have a foot injury right now.

Everyone is right. Your first IM is about having fun. Taking it all in and "Finishing." Don't expect to race, you've trained hard, take a day off, get some sleep, drink some beer, whaterver, then get back to your plan and go do that IM. You will never regret it.

Rocketboy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you know how many people in this country or on this planet would even consider doing an Ironman? Simply the fact that you are training for this thing puts you in the top 0.05% of the fittest people on this planet. Some will call you a freak, a glutton for suffering, crazy that you wake up at 4:30am to go jump in a pool. Well guess what? They're the freaks because they can't or won't do it!

Take an easy week, do some tapering, but never forget the fact that not too many people can do what you can do!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quit sounding like me and get there...I know I am under trained...I know I am under funded...I know that I will feel better than no man on earth when I get to that line next Sunday...and if it takes me 16:59:59 to do it....I will get to that line damnit....even if there is blood leaking from my anus.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have nothing to add to the above posts, except to say they are all correct. Take a few days off and have a few beers. You will be just fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I fight some of the same stuff. My Ironman training is making my shorter races seem like they are too big to do. Then, I take a couple of days off and simply smoke a mountainous Sprint-Tri course, and everything is back to wonderful. Take a couple (or three, or a week) of days off, see if you feel better...I'm betting you will.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: HELP - I need a good kick in the ass [Record10Ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First, eeewwww!

Second, dude, you are hardcore!

Third, please wear black shorts on Sunday.

Fourth, if you need anything at all on the course(Gu, salt tabs, Immodium AD ;p), I'm #816. Just tell me what you need as you pass me.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: HELP - I need a good kick in the ass [Record10Ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gee Chip... thanks for sharing... NOT! :-)

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth, I'll be there and it is my first IM as well. For that matter though, I expect that there will be quite a few Slowtwitchers there and I am looking forward to meeting them, as well as you. Also for what it is worth, I just got back from a six day vacation trip to California, during which I completed the sum total of 2 swim workouts. Training schedule is shot to Hell, but I figure I have four good weeks to get back to where I was in June. One last thought, this might be the last year of a one lap bike and out and back run course. I was really concerned about the potential changes to the course as I like the challange of the long lonely road type race. They can change it next year as I am doing it this year. But, if they do change it, then this is your one and only chance to do the original IMC course. You can't miss out on that. One caveat, I suspect what you are hearing inside your head are those negative voices everyone carries. I also suspect they will raise their volume again with about 10 miles to go on the run. Be prepared.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Listen to the words of everyone who has posted here and take that with you in the final month of preparation. We have all had similar experiences and I for one think this will just make your mind stronger. When that cannon goes off in Penticton you will be starting a journey that will more than make up for the doubts you have now. Enjoy the ride. Best of Luck!

Just think, when you finish IMC you can then post as "Wise Tri Guy"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't do it, you will hate yourself.

Do you want to hate yourself? :)

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
screw what everyone else is saying...they don't know shit about you..you suck..big time..face it..I mean really it is only..what..$400 or so you're throwing away if you don't show..and you can forever wallow in your own self pity living that miserable 'what if' life of mediocrity. Not like you've been bragging to everyone you know for the last year that you're finally going to become an IRONMAN. Surely if you snivel your pathetic way out of going because of some lame ass excuse they'll understand. They'll probably not even bring it up on a regular basis when conversation comes to bragging rights (oh sure I was captain of the football team and slept with every cheerleader this side of Colorado but Foolish here...damn..he was ALMOST on ironman..he's the real stud of the group).
You want to have a real excuse to not go..come up with something real buddy. If there is even one athlete at the race that has a physical handicap...and they have the fortitude to go the distance (whether or not they're tired/overtrained/yada yada yada) in spite of everything that is holding them back..then your little pity party oughta make you feel like crap enough to stay at home and bury your head in the kiddy box sand. You wanted a kick there it is man..unless you have some medically provable reason you can't do the race...then everything else is just a lame excuse made up by a fragile ego.

PS. make sure you let me know how it goes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hurry out and buy the book "Becoming an Ironman" and read the stories of people's first encounters with Ironman racing.

I won't make any comments that could be construed as derogitory to anyone in the book, so I'll just say there are folks whose age is likely double yours, those with significant physical handicaps, etc that have finished the race. You can to. The book is highly inspirational. Consider it a kick in the poants in the "tug-on-your-heart" kind of way.

Note: babitt's story is quite funny ... actually ate a whopper and fries on the bike.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply