Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wrench Question: P3 Chain Skipping
Quote | Reply
I have a 51cm P3 with 650c wheels. Front Gearing 55/42. DA 9 speed.

I'm experencing chain skipping on the small cog (i.e 11 or 12 depending on cassette) when using my race wheels ( I have two Zipp 404 and Cormia Disc (yes using shim.) happens with both). I've tried adjusting the top adjuster on the rear Dur. as much as possible but it doens't seem to fix the problem. I have a Velomax Accent II for training and don't have this problem.

Is this because the chainstays are too short? Do I have to move the set screws out to straighten out the chain more? Sort of defeats the propose of the bent seat tube though? Also this happens on the 55 and the 42. I'm not worried about it happening on the 42 because I would never use that ratio. However for the 55/11 or 12 I need this problem fixed.

Also the dur. cage and the hangers aren't bent in anyway.

Thanks for you help in advance!

Cheers!

Trevor
Quote Reply
Re: Wrench Question: P3 Chain Skipping [Trevor S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quick question.....have you checked the length of your chain? It could be too long and you get "slacK" causing skip when using the 11 tooth cog. Don't know if this is the problem since you say it doesn't occur on your training wheels. Are the small cogs the same on all the wheel sets? If not, this could be the problem.

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I doubt if there is a connection but I just took my brand new P3 (50 miles) in to have the chain worked on. One of the pins was coming out (probably where it was spliced together). It was skipping gears and I thought it was the derailleur but finally found a small kink caused by the bad pin.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Wrench Question: P3 Chain Skipping [graigcone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd agree that it sounds like a chain issue. Check every link for a stiff or kinked link.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to make sure the high and low gear adjustments are correct. Just because they are right for one set of wheels, doesn't mean they are right for another set. Take the der. cable off the rear der, adjust the high gear screw and see if that gets rid of the problem.

The chain suggestions are also good. I use only chains with connector links now since I was not able to make the pin connections consistently.
Quote Reply
Re: Wrench Question: P3 Chain Skipping [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Guys;

I don't think its the chain. I just replaced my old one. Had same issue on both. Also problem goes away when I use my training wheel. Same DA cassettes for racing and training.

Yes I've tried the top end limit adjuster per Shiminao's instructions. Turned it as far out as to allow the screw to fall-out (a quarter turn at a time), couldn't find a good position.

Trevor
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I am still not convinced that you have the high gear limit adjusted right. I really think you need to take the der. cable off to do the adjustment. Otherwise, the cable tension fights the limit screw adjustment.

When I have problems with my P3, also a 51 cm, I take off the cable and the chain and I line up the der. and the small cog visually. This is easy to do since they are nearly touching. My disc wheel and my training wheels have a sufficiently different alignment to make a difference in shifting.
Quote Reply
Re: Wrench Question: P3 Chain Skipping [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Art;

Yes I adjusted the high limit with out the cable on. I agree the 404's and disc are visually very different then the Accent with respect to their cassette location. Since you have a 51 I'll try again tonight when I get home. I have road, touring and MT bikes as well and have never had this much trouble with the high limit adjustment. Hope it works or I'm doing LP with an 8 speed :-).

Cheers!

Trevor
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you are a stud, I don't see why you would need a 55/11 for Lake Placid. It is a long day out there. It won't kill you to coast on the downhills. My highest gear will be 50/12. I do like to pedal at the bottom of hils to carry momentum up the next hill. I don't have the gearing to allow this, but the time lost is unmeasurable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also forgot to mention that you should check to make sure your wheel is in straight. If the dropout sdjustment screws are off, it is easy to get a slight angle of the rear wheel relative to the frame. If the front of the back wheel is tilted slightly ot the left side of the bike, this might show up as the chain rubbing slightly against the 12 cog when the chain is on the 11 cog.
Quote Reply