Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is America Finally Getting A Clue?
Quote | Reply
I saw this article on MSN.com's homepage.

http://content.health.msn.com/.../100819.htm?GT1=4244

Brett
Quote Reply
Re: Is America Finally Getting A Clue? [timberwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
God I hope so. If I hear another commercial for a "carb-friendly" product or hear how many "net carbs" something has I'm going to lose it.

maybe american kidney's are getting tired of the low carb diets... ouch
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's funny how my friends at work as me how I lost 35lbs. They say "Are you on one of the low carb diets?" Then I tell them that I eat 400 to 500 grams of carbs a day and they say they can't believe it. Then I tell them that I train 12-15 hrs a week and they can't believe that either.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Is America Finally Getting A Clue? [jhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rock bottom has to be that the majority of beer commercials are about low carbs.

Are there "low-carb" cigarettes yet?

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brett, don't kid yourself. "America" (as many people that live in the United States refer to their homeland, ignoring the rest of North America, Central America, and South America), is as spoiled and self-serving as always, constantly looking for the quick fix to any personal problem. Whether it's a new diet; a miracle drug to cure baldness, heart disease, or genital herpes; or a relationship test in a magazine that promises to cure your partner's lack of sexual desire toward you: "America" wants what it wants, and wants it now, if not sooner, and with no unpleasant aftertaste.

On the other hand, as a group, "America" is one of the stubbornest, mean-spirited, bloodiest, competitive, bash-your-brains-in-to-get-what-we-want peoples in the world.

Such a dichotomy...

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Is America Finally Getting A Clue? [yaquicarbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a result of many of us being;

"America" is one of the stubbornest, mean-spirited, bloodiest, competitive, bash-your-brains-in-to-get-what-we-want peoples in the world.

We have the luxury of accomodating those among us the few who are;

"spoiled and self-serving as always, constantly looking for the quick fix to any personal problem. Whether it's a new diet; a miracle drug to cure baldness, heart disease, or genital herpes; or a relationship test in a magazine that promises......"

So what?

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Re: Is America Finally Getting A Clue? [mojozenmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, we aren't finally getting a clue....the Atkins diet craze is just another example of our collective cluelessness.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are absolutely, 100% on the nose with this. It is all about the easy answer.

I agree 100%.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with you absolutly.

More Atkins/low carbohydrate foolishness:

1. The parent company for one of the largest pasta companies in the US has had to seek bankruptcy protection

2. In province of PEI, the largest suppliers of Potatos in Canada have started to give potatos away. Can't sell them any more!!

Losing/gaining weight is really about a very simple formula: Calories in, in the form of food vs. Calories out in for form of actuvity and exercise.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, America is still clueless. The ultimate example of this "low carb" foolishness: low carb dog food. Yep, you read correctly; a couple of weeks ago I saw a TV commercial marketing "low carb" dog food for overweight dogs. I have already applied for trademark protection for America's next diet fad - the low protein diet. Our slogans will be "hell no we won't pro" and "just say no to pro".
Quote Reply
Re: Is America Finally Getting A Clue? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now it's even easier, as obesity will be seen as a disease (thank you, Tommy Thompson). "Everything was going great in my life until I caught obesity..."

The implications of this are staggering, my health care costs have risen about 25%/year over the last 4 years, and I am in perfect health. This is because I am "averaged" in with all the smokers, fat people, etc. Will my health care costs now go up even FURTHER because obesity is a disease, and treatments (stomach staple/bypass, etc), will now be covered by insurance companies?

When will people start to take responsibility for their own health?
Quote Reply
Responsibility? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's that? I don't understand. Just give it to me for free and I'll be happy.

For the sarcasm impaired this post is full of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Is America Finally Getting A Clue? [tiphoonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just wait until my low carb bottled water hits the market. I'm going to be rich! All the water you can drink and no carbs. You know it's going to happen.

Evan Nitschmann
Quote Reply
Re: Is America Finally Getting A Clue? [Peter826] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the agency that dictates what's a disease and what's not officially moved obesity off the "isn't a disease" list on friday. the dude interviewed defended it saying that treating obesity will get their weight down and reduce costs in obesity related treatments. cheaper in the long run. i think it would be cheaper to apply a fat tax. if you're fat, you pay for it. not us.

http://www.barefootrunning.org
Quote Reply
Re: Is America Finally Getting A Clue? [Peter826] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, Peter826,

This is really great for me. I was so fat when I was a kid I was in a special education gym class (see Judy Molnar's book "You Don't Have to be Thin to Win").

My cure for obesity is about $20,000 worth of travel per year to participate in our fine sport and another $15,000-$20,000 worth of equipment, etc.

I'm very pleased to hear my health insurance will now cover this! To bad I couldn't get them to cover simple lab tests and X-rays for broken ribs or pneumonia......

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Is America Finally Getting A Clue? [tiphoonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, it's far worse than that: They have vegetarian cat food and dog food. Now, I don't want to start a flame war or anything, but...You are welcome to eat whatever you want based on your personal or religious beliefs, but dogs and cats are carnivores. It's bad enough the kibble we feed them anyway(mad cow nuggets), let alone imposing our own beliefs on the animals that we keep.

Back to your point, you just want to tell folks: "Your dog is fat because you don't walk him enough, not because he needs a diet. Get you both off the couch and go for a walk." If Sam Kinison was alive, he would definitely have a bit about this.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply