Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TDF...can tradition change?
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine with a pure running background has began to follow the tour for the last couple years. He can not figure out how the placings and times are determined. I told him how Lemond once won by 8 seconds. How can someone win a race that long by 8 seconds when the times to cross start and finish lines are so random. ie riders in a group given the same times. He asked why they would not use chip timming and the actual line to line times determine your placing?

Your thoughts.

It's a Good life if you don't Weaken!
My Mom 1922-2004
Quote Reply
Re: TDF...can tradition change? [Jimmy Jazz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They give the group the same time so people won't start pushing in order to get a better place when they cross the finish line. There'd be 100x more crashes if that was the case.
Quote Reply
Re: TDF...can tradition change? [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That might be the case now (pushing around for every .01 sec.) I think you need to put yourself, not in the rider's position, but in the judge's place c. 1940. Imagine trying to fairly time these guys with just a stopwatch.

"Hé, vous savez ce que ... justes donnons leur à toute la même heure."

"Hey, you know what ... let's just give them all the same time."

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: TDF...can tradition change? [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And then imagine that same group of guys "racing" to the line because the difference in time from the first person crossing the line to the 100th person could be quite significant. Like a previous poster said there would 100X more crashes because no one would want to be the last person in the group to cross. Then you would have more instances of crashing in the final kilometer and you have that rule that those who crash get the same time as the group. Are they just screwed then?
Quote Reply
Re: TDF...can tradition change? [Jimmy Jazz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The mountains and the time trials give ample time to sort out the finishing times. Your friend has a problem understanding the race because he is thinking about it like a running race. This is entirely different. There are so many different things going on, the current rules allow each of the different types of cyclists to compete in the sub-categories somewhat independently. The overall finish order isn't the only race taking place over these three weeks. It's dangerous enough to have a bunch of sprinters jockeying for position at the end, it would be crazy to have all the GC guys mixing it up as well.

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply