Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Alpe d'Huez
Quote | Reply
Will riders be required to wear helmets for the TT? (they can take them off on an uphill finish of more than 5k which this certainly is). Will they want to? Or will they wear aero helmets?
Quote Reply
Re: Alpe d'Huez [new2tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they're allowed, I'm guessing no helmet.
Quote Reply
Re: Alpe d'Huez [E&EDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When they had the mountain TT in 2001, Lance wore an aero helmet for the first, flatter, segment and then tossed it off before starting the climb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
THere's only about 1K of flat in the beginning, thne all uphill. I'd guess no helmets on this stage.

Separate but related question: Do UCI rules require brakes? If not, wouldn't ditching front and back calipers, brake cables and possibly (depending on whether or not you're using STI) brake levers be an easy way to save a pound or more? In a normal TT the chances of needing brakes are slim. Going up L'Alpe, they are almost nil.

Anyone who tells you they're as fast now as they were when they were 18...
sure wasn't very fast when they were 18.
Quote Reply
Re: Alpe d'Huez [Rich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't know if brakes are required, but there is a total minimum weight limit for bikes. most guys--at least the gc guys anyways--are hitting the weight limit darn near on the nose and thus, they probably can't shave off any more weight...

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
towards the last 2km you need your brakes...
Quote Reply
Re: Alpe d'Huez [mclamb6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't think the weight limit applied to TT bikes. If it does, you're right, they can easily get to the minimum even with brakes.

Anyone who tells you they're as fast now as they were when they were 18...
sure wasn't very fast when they were 18.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
after watching the "enthusiasm" of the fans on stage 13 I was wondering will Alpe d'Huez be fenced off the whole way up or will it be open? Lance said that he couldn't go as fast as he wanted with all the people around him, and if something did happen to knock someone down there would be no hope of a "gentlemen's rule" as it is a time trial. It would be a shame if someone lost time because they were knocked over by an excited fan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The last two kilometers are fenced off. Until that point, it will be a zoo.
Quote Reply
Re: Alpe d'Huez [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zoo is right. I heard somewhere they were expecting over a million people!

"If ginseng really does aid in mental clarity, we're encouraging Brit to drink up." -E! Online
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The last two kilometers are fenced off. Until that point, it will be a zoo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are we sure about that? Typically, it's only the last few km's, but I thought Phil &/or Paul said the whole climb will be fenced off this year due to the number people expected on the mountain. When seconds count, you can't have the fans that close.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Alpe d'Huez [JM3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was just what I heard on OLN. I am no expert.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard they were going to fence off the last 5K for this - normally it's the last two.
Quote Reply
Re: Alpe d'Huez [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought they said the last 4k yesterday but it seems like we all have different numbers :-)

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply