Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Marathon Taper in middle of Tri Build Period?
Quote | Reply
I am a little over a week away from my first marathon (Nation's Marathon in DC) and a little over 7 weeks away from my first 1/2 IM of the season (St. Croix). I am tapering the run part of my training per marathon plans, but want to know if I need to taper the bike and/or swim as well.

In training bible language, the marathon is a "b" or "c" race, meaning I much prefer to peak at St. Croix, but will pounding the bike and or swim next week set me up for a tough experience in my first marathon? I do want to survive and perhaps even enjoy the marathon experience.

I am thinking of laying off the bike a little, but don't know if I should decrease intesity or volume, and am thinking of staying hard on the swim.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Taper in middle of Tri Build Period? [Jobo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say to taper the whole schmear, including swimming - though I'd have said to taper for about 2 weeks, personally. it'll be shorter taper for sure, but if you don't you run the risk of getting injured and then your prep for St. Croix will really be in trouble. The little bit of rest will be good for you, you'll get to enjoy the marathon (especially since it is your first!) and you'll be recharged and hungry to peak for St. Croix. Good luck!

"To give less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Pre

MattMizenko.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You won't like What I have to say but if your more intrested in results than getting your aerobics jones I would recomend doing absolutely nothing the week before the Marathon and nothing for the week after ( other than walking and stretching) Then either easy longer or very short hard workouts with an entire week off before the 1/2 IR. This is psychologically difficult but when you see the performance differnce you will be a believer. Good Luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently went through a similar training situation. I began my base building period on the swim during my taper and then began my bike base on the two weeks after the motorola marathon in Austin. I pr'ed in my marathon so the twice a week swim sessions during my taper didn't hurt at all, and I got medium range bike ride the first weekend afterwards and had a great 50 mile bike ride a week later. Ofcourse, I do feel you should lay off the bike before the marathon, but full steam ahead in the saddle afterwards. good luck, cmj
Quote Reply