Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Schwinn reintroduces the Stingray
Quote | Reply
Looks more like a custom chopper than the original Stingray...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5436894

and

http://www.schwinnstingray.com

Last edited by: GJB: Jul 14, 04 22:15
Quote Reply
Re: Schwinn reintroduces the Stingray [GJB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SA-weeet.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yellow Sting-Ray was my first bike. My brother had the Red, White, and Blue.

If only they would make a larger adult version?

In the meantime, I'll just keep dreaming about the possibilities of showing up to a race riding my yellow Sting-Ray with banana seat and slicks on the back. I can picture it now coming into transition laying down a perfect skid, bike sideways making a precise stop at my transition area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Looks more like a custom chopper than the original Stingray...

That's because Schwinn had OCC design it.

Personally, I'm against it for a couple of reasons:

1) It looks too good to bash up.
2) Can you do a wheelie on it?
3) Probably impossible to trashpick spare parts.

All the fun of the Stingray was using it as the raw material to create something from (a chopper, a BMXer, a derby / bicycle tag / polo bike) Whatcha gonna make outta that?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: randymar: Jul 15, 04 8:11
Quote Reply
Re: Schwinn reintroduces the Stingray [trichatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
20 inch yellow stingray with no shifter was my first bike. I think they called the yellow ones "lemon peelers"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, the Stingray was the bike that started it all. I arguably did my first triathlon on a Stingray:

Swim at Seashore Pool in Levagood Park, ride around after, run from bullies in the neighborhhod and get in acorn fights.

And who says you have to grow up? I pretty much do the same things now.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These bikes are VERY hard to come by. Tots-R-Us, Walmart and other department stores are carrying them and they ALL seem to be sold out. My sister called from Texas and asked me to keep my eye out for anything. I found two bikes in my area, both at ‘real’ bike shops… and BOTH asking $300+ for them. I checked on e-bay and they are going for about $300-$400. I put my name on a waiting list at a Walmart that seemed to think they would be getting about 20 bikes any day. After about a month, I was able to pick up one (of the two I asked for) StingRay.

Also…

* There is a rumor that Schwinn will be making more of an adult version… 24’ or 26’.

* OCC did NOT design this bike… just endorsing it.

* Pics do not so these bikes justice. Although there is some corner cut on ‘quality’ here and there, these bikes look COOOOOOOL!!

JB
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The local ice cream shop is raffling one off. It's a long bike with a super wide rear tire (maybe 3"). Very cool. Eating junk food can pay off.
Quote Reply
Re: Schwinn reintroduces the Stingray [Ironstevie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
20 inch yellow stingray with no shifter was my first bike. I think they called the yellow ones "lemon peelers"

The Lemon Peeler was the yellow Krate (16" front wheel, 20" rear, 5-speed)

The were also the Orange, Apple, Grape, Blueberry, (non-fruit) Copper and Coal (black) Krates; Pea Picker (green - mine); Cotton Picker (white); Grey Ghost (silver).

Schwinn also made StingRays with 24" wheels called "Manta Rays." I had a blue one of those.

Raleigh countered with their "Choppers" line

Those were wonderful times!!!

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Schwinn reintroduces the Stingray [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who the hell need STI or Ergo shifters when you can have a state of the art, shift on the top tube lever.

What a thing of beauty those photos are! Thanks for bringing back some great memories.
Quote Reply
Maybe Bike the Drive in Chicago [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still have my Schwinn Stringray. All original including tires. It's alittle beat up but what did I know I was twelve. it's now 30 years later and they are back in style. I thought about doing bike the drive on it in full team kit, how cool would that be?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This bike is soooo hot!!

After seeing this post this am, I emailed Schwinn and asked if they were coming out with an adult version. Here is the reply:

"Yes, we ARE coming out with an adult version. They are working on it as we speak! Stay tuned to the www.schwinnstingray.com website for more information. (I think it will be out for Christmas.)"

I know what's on my Xmas list this year :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe this will help revive the Schwinn brand and we'll see some more Paramounts down the road. As I look over from my desk, there is hanging on the wall a forest green Paramount Columbus SLX, now upgraded to Dura Ace 9 speed (Jack from MI borrowed this bike and took it up Palomar at New Years), and cherry red Paramount titanium (Serrotta built) that is my training/climbing bike.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Schwinn reintroduces the Stingray [JRH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I need one. Notice I didn't write "want." "Need" is appropriate... ;-)

Quote | Reply
Schwinn is only doing this because Electra ( http://www.electrabike.com/) is cleaning up the market. They have about 30 different choppers, cruisers, and customs in sizes for kids and adults. Heavy steel frames, high quality construction, beautiful bikes.

I bought my wife The Betty for Christmas last year. This Spring a guy on a P3 stops to ask her questions about it. That's one sweet bicycle. (He better not have been hitting on her!)

If you're looking for a fun, laid back bike to cruise around on, have a look at the Electras. You won't be sorry.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool, but it looks like they are trying too hard. I like this one better:

http://www.electrabike.com/...ction/rf/RATFINK.jpg

Electra has a bunch of sweet cruisers.

http://www.electrabike.com/

Russ
Quote Reply
Re: Schwinn reintroduces the Stingray [Your Name Here] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote | Reply
there's a guy who does Triple Bypass (10000+ ft of climbing, 125 miles) on an Orange Krate every year, it's an impressive sight..

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply