Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Crankarm bolt/washer- how to remove without "pin" tool?
Quote | Reply
So I just took off my crankarms today for the first time in my life to install new ones, and my self extracting(?) cranks came right off the bottom bracket spindle with the crank bolt and washer still stuck in the cranks. i was using a hex wrench to loosen the crankarm bolt and was expecting to have to use the crank puller but i didnt even get to that step when the arms came off. in the repair/maintenance manual i have at home, it mentions a special pin tool that I dont happen to own. is there a way to remove the bolt and washer from an already detached crankarm without this tool?
Quote Reply
Re: Crankarm bolt/washer- how to remove without "pin" tool? [giantracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What kind of cranks are they?
Quote Reply
Re: Crankarm bolt/washer- how to remove without "pin" tool? [giantracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its kinda pain but if you have two allen wrenches the size of the holes... you can sometimes turn them off with someoen else holding it...

Else the pin tool only costs 3-4 dollars... worth it in the long run

Your new arms should have a new bolts with it though
Quote Reply
Re: Crankarm bolt/washer- how to remove without "pin" tool? [LaWoof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ultegra '03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try what Taku said. Otherwise go to the shop and get the tool that has both the chain ring bolt and spanner tool. Ask the shop guys for one, not the sales floor. They may have one that thay will just give you. Should be a few bucks like Taku said. Makes cleaning chain rings easy as well.

Good luck, and remember......
Quote Reply
Re: Crankarm bolt/washer- how to remove without "pin" tool? [LaWoof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i would buy the pin spanner but in the meantime if you have any sharp, pointy tweezers they will do the trick in a pinch

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Needle nose pliers are an option as well.

Quote | Reply
Use an old kitchen fork, bend the tines so two stick out, voila, a perfect late Saturday night before a Sunday race dust cover removing tool.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply