Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any good rides/routes in the Eastern Sierras?
Quote | Reply
I will be up in Yosemite the 16th-17th, dropping off some backpackers. I'm bringing my road bike and would love to do a ride somewhere off the 395 heading south, or Mammoth, or anywhere on the way home. Any suggestions for a ride? I'd like to keep it somewhere between 40-80miles.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Any good rides/routes in the Eastern Sierras? [Steepleboy04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe 168 west out of Bishop up to North Lake? I have never ridden it but I've driven it a bunch of times and I've seen a number of cyclists. Very pretty, you get to see a lot of different stuff and it would be a great climb. If I were you, I would probably drive across the maybe 10 miles of flat and get on the bike where the road starts going up.

Alternatively, you could check out part of the route for the Everest Challenge. If I remember, they have pretty good route descriptions and topo maps online.

Anyone who tells you they're as fast now as they were when they were 18...
sure wasn't very fast when they were 18.
Quote Reply
Re: Any good rides/routes in the Eastern Sierras? [Steepleboy04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) June Lake Loop is nice. You can add on part of the 120 heading east to make it any distance you want.

2) Park at Green Church just off the 395 (Benton Crossing Road) about 6-7 miles south of the 203 (turn off to Mammoth Lakes) - ride out as far as you want and back. Road is very smooth - few cars - nice. I ride this all the time - my staple ride....you cross the Owens RIver - loop around the back of Lake Crowley - great views. If you go to Benton - you can loop back around the 120 and back down the 395 (thats about 100 miles I think).

3) Bishop rides - lots of options/loops - roads are more mixed - some rough patches - nothing too bad. Can easily avoid cars. Hotter. Lower altitude.

4) Climbs - If you want 3000-5000 foot climbs - there are a few noteworthy climbs....check out the everest challenge website. Ride from Bishop to Mosquito Flats - that should be about a 6000 foot net clmib.....ends above 10000 I think....if you want any info on the roads let me know. Some of those climbs have some traffic....though the bishop to mosquito flat ride can be almost empty of cars.

Carry lots of fluids....

Dave
Quote Reply