Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why I may not vote this year... [steveperx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't say that. I think it depends on how you defnie right versus privileges. Call it a right, call it a privilege, I don't care.

I care. You should, too.

Since I've already tried to make the distinction between a right and a privilege, and you don't accept it, why don't you define both of those terms for me?

It has nothing to do with the privilege/right of moving about freely. You can't do it because the law requires specific allegations of infractions before an arrest, and also requires things such as arraignments, indictments, etc. OK, so what if the state of Idaho revoked all of those laws and wrote one that said they could lock up talentless triathletes at will? Can they come haul me off to jail?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You guys are supposed to right me in. I am the pro triathlon candidate. I say a P3 in every house!

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Why I may not vote this year... [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, so what if the state of Idaho revoked all of those laws and wrote one that said they could lock up talentless triathletes at will? Can they come haul me off to jail?

As long as it stands up to scrutinization under the Constitution, then I see no problem with it.

I care. You should, too.

Why should I care? People interchange the two words all the time. I really don't care one way or the other. Rights, privileges... privileges, rights. It doesn't matter.

Since I've already tried to make the distinction between a right and a privilege, and you don't accept it, why don't you define both of those terms for me?

I think I'll decline to continue playing. I'm sure you'd find something to nitpick about any definition I gave you.

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steveperx, you are getting too emotional about the decision. You are being swayed by the rhetoric of both of the major candidates. Of course that's going to come across as political crap. You can, indeed, go to the candidate's websites, and find their platforms listed. I am quite sure you are smart enough to read between the political speak and divine the true stance that they are taking.

The fact is, both major parties, the republicans most of all, would love to have you and millions of others NOT vote. The fewer people that actually vote, the fewer people they have to convince to vote for them. This trends over time and elections to marginalize the majority of voters. Neither party has to be really accountable to the populace at large in that instance. They can get their presidential candidate elected by an ever decreasing percentage of the population. And at the same time, their senators and congressmen can really play up the hometown pork-barrel angle since the only folks they are concerned about are their own constituents.

The more emotional you get about the decision, the less likely you are to find any candidate to back. You'll be swayed by the big ticket items that may not even impact your life, but get all the airtime. Words like "economy," "abortion,""defense,""Environment" and others are distractors to keep you engaged at the emotional level. Dig a little deeper than that. Dig into the specifics. I think you'll find more common ground with one or the other than you are willing to say right now. Its easy to think they are all out of touch with your ideas if you just pay attention to the rhetoric and items that get all the air play. There is a whole litany of items, however, that are often more important in the long run, but aren't the sexy "elect me" sorts of things. I often suspect those who cannot determine who to vote for really don't know themselves that well, or are unwilling to really take a stand despite strong feelings on certain issues. I find some things about both candidates extremely disturbing. However, I have done enough poking around to figure out which one I can vote for.

Think of the people closest to you in your life, those you truly trust. Now do you always agree with them? Of course not. You may even have strong opinions that are totally opposite theirs. Why do you (and others) insist on having a presidential candidate that you have no issues or qualms with, then? You will not find such a person. Decide what the really important things are in your life, rank them and then look into the candidates. And be prepared to compromise. Compromising on a few issues is NOT equivalent to compromising yourself. In fact, holding yourself out from the vote simply because you refuse to compromise a bit is nothing less than vanity, if you think about it.

Again, I have issues, and sometimes important ones, with both of the major party candidates. But I have concluded that one of them is a better choice, FOR ME, than the other. You can do the same. One of these two is going to take the office next January. One of them will do a better job than the other, depending on how you see it. I know who I think it is. Deep down, I'm sure you have an idea as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The right to move around freely is a privilege? hah.

Good luck arguing with that, Vitus.

==================================
but I can deal with the angels, cause it ain’t me they’re here to claim. it’s a good night for blowing ‘em off til some other day
Quote Reply
Re: Why I may not vote this year... [minny expat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The right to move around freely is a privilege? hah.

Good luck arguing with that, Vitus.

??? What are you saying?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Why I may not vote this year... [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was agreeing with you that free movement is a right, but how do you convince somebody that what they don't think is a right, really is. It just seemed too funny...

I do not see it as simple semantics. The diff btw rights and privileges is a huge one.

==================================
but I can deal with the angels, cause it ain’t me they’re here to claim. it’s a good night for blowing ‘em off til some other day
Quote Reply

Prev Next