Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Really Stupid Helmet question????
Quote | Reply
I just got a new helmet. It is the middle of the road Giro model. I had had my old Bell helmet for over ten years, it did not have an internal plastic frame or anything like that.

My question: With the new helmet when I am riding and go down into the aero position I can feel the helmet move slighlty. Is this okay or is the internal frame tight?

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Re: Really Stupid Helmet question???? [Yarf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, if the helmet is moving on your head I would suggest that you consult the owner's manual in the box with the helmet to read about how to adjust it correctly. I know this sounds stupid, but you may be surprised what you find out in the owner's manual.

In general, the helmet shouldn't be moving around on your head.

Remember, the helmet must stay in place during a primary and secondary impact. This is very imporatant. It is possible my best friend died because his helmet, adequately adjusted and correctly worn (I tried it on 43 minutes before his fatal accident and also specifically observed the fit on his head: It was a new helmet he received that day.) may have been ejected from his head during a severe, primary impact from behind with a moving car travelling at approx. 37 MPH according to the crime scene investigators.

It needs to be adequately tight. Double check that as though your life depends on it, because it does.

If it were a parachute, would you jump it?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Really Stupid Helmet question???? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All i got with the helmet is a little brochure that is kind of useless. I will go to their website see if I can find anything out. The shift is minor (maybe 1-2 cms or less than an inch for you guys) but it makes me a little uneasy. Thanks for the reply.

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Re: Really Stupid Helmet question???? [Yarf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I assume you found this?

http://www.giro.com/usa/gir_faq_4.html

Quote | Reply
Remember, the helmet must stay in place during a primary and secondary impact. This is very imporatant.

Do the ANSI and Snell certifications cover this? The local news station ran a consumer test on helmets a couple of days ago. Quite a few of them failed at the strap/buckle connection.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply