Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Good bike routes in Nassau County, NY?
Quote | Reply
Hey, folks!

I'll be visiting my in-laws on Long Island next week, and I will of course be spending as much time on the bike as possible. Can anybody point me to some good routes in Nassau County? (I'll be staying in the Bellmore/Merrick area.)

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Good bike routes in Nassau County, NY? [cramer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
              Over in that area I don't know what to reccomend. I usually just ride along the service road of the Long Island Expressway. Nassau County has some of the worst traffic in the country, so you have to be carefull. At least on the service road everyone is going in the same direction. Do a search for the Masapeaqua Bicycle Club. They have group rides going from different locations and I'm sure they will welcome a guest.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know some great rides in Suffolk county which is not too far from where you are staying. Specifically in the Northport, fort salonga area...

tell me if you are interested.

Also there are plenty of bike clubs including the massapequa bike club go to http://www.bicyclelongisland.org/index.htm and you can find links to the major bike clubs in LI
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of milage/speed do you want to do?

A nice ride is from syosset/woodbury (north of where you are) to oyster bay/bayville and back - some moderate hills, but like the other guys said you have to watch out for traffic

this saturday there is a big group ride going out of huntington (30 minutes from where you are staying)

Bicycle Long Island (HBC)

12, 55, 65, 100 mile rides with support

Quote Reply
Re: Good bike routes in Nassau County, NY? [taku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I know some great rides in Suffolk county which is not too far from where you are staying. Specifically in the Northport, fort salonga area...

tell me if you are interested.

Also there are plenty of bike clubs including the massapequa bike club go to http://www.bicyclelongisland.org/index.htm and you can find links to the major bike clubs in LI

I'd love to hear about the routes. Though I don't know if I'll be able to make it out that way, I want to keep my options open. If necessary, I could start at some point midway between Bellmore and the Northport/Fort Salonga area and ride the rest of the way.

Thanks for the link, too!

cramer
Quote Reply
Re: Good bike routes in Nassau County, NY? [Tri Nic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What kind of milage/speed do you want to do?

A nice ride is from syosset/woodbury (north of where you are) to oyster bay/bayville and back - some moderate hills, but like the other guys said you have to watch out for traffic

this saturday there is a big group ride going out of huntington (30 minutes from where you are staying)

Bicycle Long Island (HBC)

12, 55, 65, 100 mile rides with support

I'll be in the first peak week for 1/2 Vineman, so I'm looking to keep the rides in the 30-50 mile range. I won't object to being torn from my in-laws for a bit longer, though! :D

Thanks for the tip about the Huntington ride. I do like that area, but I don't think I'll be able to make it (having just gotten off the red-eye).

cramer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice rolling hils for this one.

I can start you from the stony brook train station...

turn right out of the parking lot
R on cedar (traffic light)
L on Hollow
Bear L Main
R Harbor
R harbor hill
L cordwood
r moriches
L nissequogue river
r edgewood
r landing
l then r on longfellow
R walnut
L riviera
r st johns land
straight on sunken meadow
r on 25 A

Stop at the parking lot

reverse route... about 40 miles of pretty relatively quiet roads along the water for most of the ride
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The next town over is Wantagh, on Merrick Rd is Cedar Creek park. Every Tues and Thurs night 4pm or so a group gets together and does the 1 mile loop many times, turns into a CRIT or a chat fest. You can also go on the bike path to Jones Beach which is over 8 miles round trip but can get crowded with rollerbladers and tricycles. You could take Merrick Ave not road to the Long Island Expressway service road and go East/West since you do not know the area. On the north side of the service road in WEstbury is the college with a tough 4+ mile loop
Quote Reply