Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Burn treatment...
Quote | Reply
Okay, so I just poured boiling water on my hand. Clever. after running it under cold water for a while, what do I do now?

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Burn treatment... [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not mean to make light of your predicament, but are you sure this is the best first place to come to for advice?

I was thinking... maybe... see a doctor.
Quote Reply
Re: Burn treatment... [Quadzilla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't this where we all come for advice? ;)

I don't think it's a really bad burn, but I'm racing on Sunday and figured that one of the doctors here might know a better plan than "ignore it". (I mean, it's not like I freezerburned my balls or anything...)

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how long is "a while" I am not a doctor but sure that you need to keep it under cold water for 10-20 minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I can't argue with a man who's got his priorities in line.

I'd focus first on dulling the pain. Is there a bar nearby?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just had both legs gnawed off by a hungry puma. I'm doing an ironman in about two weeks. Should I be concerned?
Last edited by: NJSteve: Jul 8, 04 12:47
Quote Reply
Re: Burn treatment... [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, in 2 weeks, you cannot help your fitness level for race day, you can only hurt it by overtraining... or by getting an infection on your badly severed legs.

It's better to go into a race with severed bloody legs a little undertrained than with severed bloody legs overtrained.

Good luckand let us know how it goes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almost ready for an IM and you can't outrun a puma? Frickin' poser.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard that it wasn't even an IM sanctioned Puma.

When I get my legs gnawed off by a hungry puma I want to get a mdot tattoo to commerate the event. I don't believe that it is right to get one if the Puma is not an official mdot Puma.

Wuss.
Quote Reply
Re: Burn treatment... [LoveTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One fast puma and I get flamed? Would it help if he was a gay puma that used PCs?

I worry about Pumas who worry about the legs they gnaw.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]I just had both legs gnawed off by a hungry puma. I'm doing an ironman in about two weeks. Should I be concerned?[/reply]

Damn dude, I just about fell off my chair laughing. You rule.

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More cold water. an hour of ice water compresses (not ice), If the blister is intact put some antibiotic ointment on it and cover and protect it. the longer you keep the blister(s) intact, the less risk of infection and the better the healing. If a (the) blister is popped, take the top off, antibiotic ointment and plain gauze (not telfa), (or one of those gel pads for burns). Keep the guaze clean and dry. Change it every 3-4 days. If there is goo on it, scrub it off--ouch). When it is pink and dry keep the sun off of it to decrease the discoloration (that pink skin is SPF negative 30). Forget the vitamin E, mederma, etc. The studies on that stuff show they are as good as no treatment or placebo.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Burn treatment... [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool - thanks man. I've had a ziplock baggie with ice & water on it for a while now. No broken skin, no blistering - just red, and a little sensitive.

I've got an aloe plant - should I use some?

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely. I understand pumas (pumae?) can't stomach aloe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you wrap your hand, wrap it loosely with gauze. You need to keep out crap that may cause infection, but you also need air flow accross your skin. Don't seal it up or wrap it tightly.

This post does not include any medical advice. The posting author will not be liable for any damage caused by following the information provided in the post.

==================================
but I can deal with the angels, cause it ain’t me they’re here to claim. it’s a good night for blowing ‘em off til some other day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have good info on Aloe. If you do, then use the plant not the prepackaged. I doubt it will hurt. some claim it really helps.

It may still blister in the next few hours.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Burn treatment... [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice/warnings. I take it I probably shouldn't go swimming tonight then? How about if it doesn't blister/break?

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adding to docfuel...

The burn literature is perfectly divided as to the whether or not to pop blisters for a variety of reasons. Personally I think you should leave them alone but the research has not borne out a definative answer...

Aloe is a very good idea. Its as good or sometimes better than any of the other things peope have come up with. The only advantage to buying a store bought aloe gel is that it often comes with a topicla anesthetic and can cut down on the pain...

But you did the right thing with putting it under water. with burns you want to stop the burning as quickly as possible. Which entails cooling it so that you do not continue to be burned.

Lastly be sure to watch out for signs of infection even if there have been no breaks in the skin that you can see, if you are feeling feversish, shaking chills, sweats, see a progressing read streaking from your burn be sure to go to your doctor or hospital as soon as possible
Quote Reply