Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: French coffee press? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha...nearly EVERYONE on the Slowtwitch Forums is a Pompous Ass. I know I'm keeping you company in that particular room, Vitus!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The other option if you like strong coffee is a stovetop esspresso maker. I have press but prefer this kind. The steam extracts much more oil and flavor from the beans than hot water will. Kontessa make a nice stainless one or Bialetti makes cheap aluminum ones. Every place I every stayed in Italy had a Bialetti in the kitchen. Super realiable but you have to be there to take them off the heat when they're done. They come in sizes from 3 to 9 demi-tasse cups. My wife and split the 9 cup one or I drink the 3 cup myself.

http://www.1-800-espresso.com/...-espresso-maker.html
Quote Reply
Re: French coffee press? [muttbunch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Bodum vacum brewer is very well suited for everyday use. It's made of polycarbonate instead of the older and orginal vacum brewers which are made of glass. The only work invovled is pouring water into bottom and adding grounds to the top, and hit start button, or program timer. check out the link I originally posted, if your used to using a older glass vacum brewer you'll love this one.

Jim
Quote Reply
Re: French coffee press? [nickc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds fancy or oneupmanship, is this for us pompous as well? You'll need to change the name to something to compete with the french press, like the Italian Kontessa Mistress.
Quote Reply
Re: French coffee press? [rgr195] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
" The Bodum vacum brewer is very well suited for everyday use. It's made of polycarbonate instead of the older and orginal vacum brewers which are made of glass."

We had 2 of these, they both developed leaks on the lower gasket. the first time it was with the warranty period, but the second occurred a few months later, which was after the expiration. We gave up. It did make good coffee, way slower than a Bunn or freedon press.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: French coffee press? [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lower gasket? do you mean the one in the pot?

THe problem that finally killed ours was the rubber seal between the upper and lower sections. But we had been using it everyday for 3 or 4 years before it started acting up: It slowly stopped sucking everything in the upper basket as violently as it did when it was new.

total brew time may be longer than a press, but the sheer convience of it brewing coffee before you walk downstairs clearly makes it seem faster.

My wife is literally pulling me off the computer to go look at a new coffee pot at the post exchange, becuase we're tired of the "you do it, no you do it" morning french press ritual...

Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can live with less volume in your coffee with the same jolt and you like toys that allow you to have variables that affect the quality and uniqueness of the final product, buy a La Pavoni espresso machine. They are a more expensive but produce a high quality result.

As far as grinders go, try a hand crank Zassenhaus Coffee Hand Mill. It takes a little effort but once again it allows you to put a personal variable into the final product.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, this is a subject on which I am an expert. I have a very serious coffee habit that goes back several years. Also, I grew up in Berkeley, home of Peets. Nuff said about my coffee cred.

I have tried all methods of coffee brewing. The french press makes outstanding coffee. You do not have to have a grinder, just buy your beans at a good coffee place and have them grind it for a press pot. Store it in the freezer. This is fine, really (especially if you go through it at a decent clip). And people who tell you that they can tell the difference between ground at the counter and ground a couple of days ago and stored in the freezer are full of it. It's not worth the bother or mess.

The drawbacks of the press pot are that it's messy, not programmable, and doesn't stay hot.

As a busy triathlete with a habit as tenacious as a crack addiction, what I have come to is the Capresso thermal coffee maker with the stainless steel insulated carafe. It filters the water, does not overheat the water, and keeps the coffee hot without it sitting on a heating element. It uses a reusable gold filter. I program it in the evening to give me coffee first thing. Otherwise I would not get out of bed. The coffee is excellent.

I have a recurring online order with Peets (2 lbs on my doorstep every two weeks) and it is never stale. Peets will never send you stale coffee. Ever. Someone would get fired if that ever happened.

I use the press pot on weekends when I want to slow life down a little. I also have plastic mini presspots for camping and backpacking. But for everyday, I need a little more convenience.
Last edited by: Cyborg42: Jul 8, 04 16:41
Quote Reply
Re: French coffee press? [rgr195] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lower gasket? do you mean the one in the pot?

I also always worried about boing water inside of plastic.

The Bunn is so fast, you wont have to worry about it. I put the beans in the grinder, then, while I fill the carafe, I put the beans into the filter. Then I pour the water into the top, close the lid and BOOM 3 1/2 minutes later, all done. Total around 5 min..

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem with most coffee machines is they don't heat water enough. This is because of lawsuits and stupid people who pour hot coffee on themselves. Coffee is best brewed with near boiling water.

I prefer using a chemex over a french press because of the cleanup factor. The chemex is basically a pyrex beaker which you can place a paper funnel in. Put the coffee grounds in the filter and pour boiling water into it.
Quote Reply
Re: French coffee press? [Wolfwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coffee should be brewed with water that is 185 degrees farenheit for best flavor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude I go with the old school stove-top espresso makers. Cheap and easy to use, they brew a nice cup of ridiculously strong coffee. I recently bought a bigger one that makes like 6 espresso cups and usually end up just pouring it all into a normall coffee cup and drinking it with a whole bunch of sugar.

When my stomach feels like it would tear open I use my cheap-ass french... er 'freedom'... press and that works just as well. I don't have a grinder so I end up using store bought espresso grounds which I know get through the filter but what the hell, it makes me feel tough.

Of course the coffee shop up the corner with the hot college girls behind the counter usually wins out over both... now if I could only figure out how to look pompous and pretentious while getting my coffee there...

-Santiago
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
- french press

The french press makes great coffee. I have one at work in a stainless travel mug, ~ 20oz. It works well, doesn't leak.

- bodum vacuum machine

I would recommend against this machine. The carafe is not dishwasher safe. As a result, resin builds up over time. The resin is bitter. The only way to get out the resin is via a dishwasher.

- grinder

A burr grinder is important only for espresso. Otherwise, it doesn't matter and the cheaper motorboat ones are fine.

- senseo

I have heard polar responses. I am wary of the coffee, so I am suspect of the favorable reviews. I have tried some of the ese espresso pods in my espresso machine. The espresso was marginal.

OTOH, they are popular in Europe. I wonder if they are on to something.

I would recommend the following:

- Melitta drip machine (~$30)

- Bodum French press (Brazil, ~$15)

- go to a in store demo of a senseo; try it out.

wmh

iambigkahunatony.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can get a French Press at most Barney's. Try the Jamaican Blue at about $5 a cup. That'll make going back to Folger's a bit tougher. :)

Robert, who has 6 lbs of Jamaican Blue Mountain sitting in the reefer in the gahrage. :)

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: French coffee press? [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You mix Jamaican Blue with reefer? I bet that's an odd buzz....

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: French coffee press? [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love my French press.
I boil a little more water than needed and pour the remainder into my coffee cup to warm it up while my French press is "brewing". I get a hotter cup of coffee now than with my old drip machine which never got the pot hot enough.
Quote Reply
Re: French coffee press? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would have done that in the '60's but those prison skinsuits don't come in Lycra and cotton is soooo tacky and at my age.... But, Martha Stewart's gonna' change all that. :)

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: French coffee press? [wmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got several coffee machines too - couple of french press, couple of stovetop (one of which does milk steaming as well), drip filters, and a couple of interesting designs.

Main machine is a Saeco (yep, like the TdF team) which is superb for espressos and cappucinos. Better than the La Pavoni that I previously had (which was good also).

For short, strong espressos, cappucinos - Saeco

For long, strong espressos - Stovetop

For regular coffee - French Press or single drip filter. Single drip filter gives you a hotter cup of coffee since it doesn't need to stand.

Grind - Basic rule, the longer the coffee is in contact with the water, the coarser the grind. So Espresso is the finest grind, French Press is the most granular. A burr grinder will give you much more even sized particles.

Only use Espresso roast in the espresso machines. You will lose any of the sutleties of any other roast so don't bother.

dt.
Quote Reply
Re: French coffee press? [davet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sheezh.... You guys. I thought I was a coffee freak. :) I'm just an aficianado, whereas we got pros here. :)

-Robert

Quote Reply

Prev Next