Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

When does it get too hot to swim in a long sleeve wetsuit?
Quote | Reply
I have IMOO coming up in Sept, and I am wondering if late in the summer, on a very hot day (like last year), it might be too hot to swim in a long-sleeve suit? And should I consider having a sleeveless top on hand. I have a Desoto suit, so I can mix and match some. Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: When does it get too hot to swim in a long sleeve wetsuit? [dhcrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really think you have to make that decision yourself based on your body type and personal heat tolerance. I'm lean, but the water temp has to be below 70 before I'll wear a full suit or I'll overheat in an IM. I have buds who feel more comfortable in a full suit even into the mid 70s. I agree the best approach is to take both a full top and a vest for your T1 and try them both out during the mornings before the race. If I remember correctly, the water temp at IMW last year was in the low 70s. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: When does it get too hot to swim in a long sleeve wetsuit? [dhcrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me too, and I'm amazed at how warm a full is. Mid september can be very cool as well. The lake temps should beging to fall as the nights get cool. I'm not sure where you live, but we have not had any warm weather around here this year. There is no indication that we will warm up any time soon. Things can change, but if summer doens't break soon, thermal caps will be in order.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my last Oly the temp was listed as 76-77. I didn't know what swimming in the bottom alone would be like, so I used my full top. I decided to concentrate on a smoooth long stroke and not overheat. I could have been a little faster, but not too much (but possibly overheated.) But I felt so fresh coming out of the water. I was ready to hit the bike. It forced me to think differently. (Of course I knocked my glasses off of my bike seat and had to scrounge around trying to find them. Oh! well.)

PS, I'm gonna get the sleeveless TRES anyway.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply