Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

F*cking crappy weekend
Quote | Reply
Man this weekend has sucked. Sat rode w/ the wife and some of our other couple friends. Flatted twice Get a short fast run in after watching the prolouge and promptly pull a muscle in my upper back stepping off a curb. No riding or running on Sunday or today, which was a 12 mile climb in the middle of 56miles. Missed a couple of hours of running as well. Freaking sucks not to mention a bit painful if I move. Hopefully I'll be close to 100% by Sat for the Dannon Duathlon. Time to go find the naproysn.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: F*cking crappy weekend [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm assuming you're just venting your frustration. However, I'm missing the part of the post where you try and figure out what went wrong and what you can do in the future to minimize the risk of re-occurance. I have a feeling that this is not what you intended to mean in your signature by "training should be hard..."

Yes, I too am on Facebook. And LinkedIn. And Twitter. Which begs the question - do I exist in the physical world? Do I?
Quote Reply
Re: F*cking crappy weekend [aliciap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's a chronic problem that has been happening as long as I can remember. Every once in a while with no rhyme or reason it happens. Call it my achilles heel.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope you feel better for Dannon Du.

Yes, I too am on Facebook. And LinkedIn. And Twitter. Which begs the question - do I exist in the physical world? Do I?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same thing happens to me. Last year, finally got diagnosed as spondylolysis (fracture in a lower verterba). Certain stretches have prevented any occurrence in the past year.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel your frustration. Did a short brick on Saturday and then put on my scuba tanks and spent an hour underwater fixing a problem with the liner in my backyard pool. Sunday was supposed to be a long ride but the heavens poured down on us. Watched the Euro Cup final instead. Knd of a non eventful weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mmmm, not as crappy as mine... did a sprint tri, 2nd off the bike and moving well out of T2, got about 400m into the run and came to a dead, dizzy, swaying stop. Stayed in that spot trying to stay up for quite a while before shuffling off to just finish the race. My girlfriend passed me (yes she stopped to see if I was okay but I made her keep going), finished then after waiting a while ran back out on the course and found me (some 40 min later) still deleriously trying to get to the turnaround. I'd gone maby a half mile in that 40 min. She flagged down a car and put me in. A couple of donuts and a pepsi later, plus two or three bottles of water I was a little better.

Turned out I was coming down with a minor flue. Spent the next day in bed. Wierd race.
Quote Reply
Re: F*cking crappy weekend [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alot of flu going around. Aderhold and O'Donnell here both had it. Odd for this time of year. I got a flu shot. I hope it works....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: F*cking crappy weekend [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]mmmm, not as crappy as mine... [/reply]

You got to race, and then got picked up by your drop-dead gorgeous girlfriend who took you and your sweet bike home for a little TLC. Yeah, your life sucks.

But soon it will be mine... ;)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too had a crappy weekend and a lousy start to the week also.

Sunday long ride planned. 30 min into the ride there is a long fast descent, on the old IMNZ route. Managed 83km/hr (over 50mph) on the downhill. finishes with a T intersection STOP. Rear brake had a tick tick tick sound. 3km later my rear wheel sidewall (not tire, but rim) has a blowout. The join in the wheel had failed. Glad that didn't happen at 80+!!! A friend rode back and got my car. Went to the bike store yesterday and 1 month to get a new 650C rim to match, here in NZ. Bummer. No worries I can just ride my road bike til then.

Yesterday I rode over some broken glass, in the dark on the way to work. I ride Conti Gatorskins to reduce flats and even have that tape stuff between tube and tire to reduce flats even more. Gashed the sidewall on a damned Heinekin bottle. Replace tube and pump tire up with pump. Manage a whopping 10 psi before pump dies! Damn.

Push bike home (15 minutes) to pump up to full pressure. Carry CO2 cylinder just in case. Made it to work OK, just late.

Go to pool after work to work out some stress and get naked and can't find the speedo in my bag. Bummer. Back into my cycling gear and go home for Pizza and a beer!

Today has gone better, but I just missed my lunchtime run becasue a bloody meeting went waaaaaay over time. (friggen clients :-) Oh well, it's the off season and I'm not training for anything at the moment. Maybe tomorrow will be better. At least I din't pick up an injury.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Try to put it in perspective [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's Monday, June 28th. Your first Ironman is in four weeks. Over the weekend you rode 115 miles and ran 15. You get up at 3:45 for a mediocre swim, thinking how glad you are that it's a recovery week.

As you put your shirt on and start tying your tie, the phone rings. Your Dad just died. Go to his house to find him lying on his bedroom floor, where the EMT's left him after their attempts to revive him failed.

Revised workout plan for the week:

Monday afternoon: Talk to funeral director. Console mother, stepmother, and siblings, while calling everybody that Dad knew to tell them the news.

Tuesday: Go for a short run, spend remainder of day talking to funeral director. Buy a 6' square of ground for $8,500.

Wednesday: 45 minutes swim, 30 minutes talking to swim buddy/lawyer about how fucked up your Dad's personal affairs were. Do a six hour brick at the wake with no food and little water.

Thursday: Go to funeral. Read eulogy. Put Dad in ground. Go back to house and eat first decent meal in four days.

Friday: run 7 miles. Sit around the house moping because your brain is running a closed loop of the past four days.

Saturday: Spend entire day fixing all the things around your Dad's house that he wouldn't let you fix when he was alive, because he didn't want to admit that he needed the help. Bask in the irony of the situation.

Sunday: Run 11 miles, host family barbeque. Try to explain to people that Dad really loved them, but could not express emotions.

---

My perspective on what comprises a crappy weekend, or week, changed quite a bit last week.

In the past year, training for IMLP has more or less consumed all of my personal life. I'd get pissed when I was too sore to run, annoyed when people would ask me to do something when I should be out riding, rant when it was raining.

Yet I got into all this to remain healthy so that I could live to a ripe old age, not so that I could neglect my family and friends.

Try thinking of it like this: When you are sore or injured, you have an opportunity to spend time with people you love and let your injury heal. There is more to life than training. I think that I might have forgotten that a little while ago.

But I remember now.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Try to put it in perspective [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jeff,

I'm sorry to hear about your father. My condolences and prayers go to you and your family.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Try to put it in perspective [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Brian. I appreciate it.

I wasn't trying to be a jerk with my post. The one major lesson I have learned in the past week is that the vast majority of the stuff we do isn't very important, it just fills the time.

What matters is that we do the things we love, and spend time with the people we care for. Everything else is wasted effort that distracts us from what matters.

I'll be at the start on July 25th, thinking of Dad, knowing that he would be happy that I was taking care of myself, trying to avoid the problems that he had. It's sad that I won't be able to talk to him about it over a beer afterwards, but I'll bring a bottle of his Cadillac Mountain Stout with me, and enjoy it after the race. He had a case and a half of it in the basement, and he really wouldn't want it to go to waste.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am so sorry for the loss of your father. I will remember you and your family and pray for some measure of comfort during this very difficult time.

Joan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]What matters is that we do the things we love, and spend time with the people we care for. Everything else is wasted effort that distracts us from what matters.
[/reply]

Hi Jeff,
Those are great thoughts (and a great reminder) I will carry with me. My deepest sympathy to you and your family. Be kind to yourself and make sure you are at the start on the 25th, and enjoy that beer.

All the best,
Nick

------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://pavlov.psyc.queensu.ca/~psyc382/rockgold.html
(Norman Rockwell's "Do Unto Others")
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was on vacation week before last. I washoping to increase my running distances. Mid-week I played golf with my DAd and brother and sister. (I know Tri-folks don't play golf. It could be said that what I did hardly resembled golf) Next we went body surfing and I felt a little twinge as we were jumping over the waves closer in. (...trying keep 'the boyz' from a sudden shock.) After that I went for a quick 5 mile run before dinner. After 3 mi, and still 2 from home, my right erector spinae began to spasm up in my upper back. Man that thing hurt for 10 days. Luckily I could still bike and run without too much discomfort, but standing up from sitting or lying was no fun.

By the way Aleve is naprosyn (Naproxen)

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply