Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

taco my rear wheel
Quote | Reply
so i am going out for a ride today, and at mile 8 i run into a road being closed for a parade. no problem, i'll just go around the barrier in the road - i have about 2 feet of pavement to deal with.

so i slow down to about 2-3mph...unclip my left foot and my back wheel catches the edge of the asphault where the gravel is. i fall to the right.

no big deal i think to myself...i get back up to get going again and my rear wheel doesn't move at all...turns out that little fall turned it into a taco. i'm 6'3" 205lbs, so i'm not tiny, but i don't think it should have done that?? it is a Trek 1000 with the cheap bontrager wheels...

also, i am still in my one year warranty, but of course, this isn't covered.

oh yeah...i'm 3 weeks out from the 1/2 iron at racine and my LBS doesn't have a spare rear wheel and it will take a week to get!!!!!!! LAME....i will never step foot into this particuar LBS again.

do you think that little fall should have turned it into a taco???? good thing a friend of mine has 6 sets of wheels...he will loan me a set for my upcoming race :)
Quote Reply
Re: taco my rear wheel [drmthtr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is easy to taco a wheel if you fall just right. I went for a ride with a friend a few years back and he was new to riding with clipless pedals. We stopped at a light and I got unclipped .... he didn't and fell on me and totalled my rear wheel so badly that it could not be trued and we weren't even moving. I had a crash once where I flipped over the bars and the bike was airborn and there wasn't anything wrong with the wheels afterwards so the angle you hit it makes all the difference.
Quote Reply