Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ullrich..no disc.
Quote | Reply
Why the heck would he choose not to use a rear disc? Surely he doesn't think the wheel, some variation on the four spoke theme, is quicker?

"Failure is an event, not a person."
Quote Reply
Re: Ullrich..no disc. [chickenlegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Why the heck would he choose not to use a rear disc?"

i'll bet because he was afraid of that turn around the roundabout.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Ullrich..no disc. [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Word is that Jan has been testing with the 3 spokes front and rear, and is going to be using them in all the TT's, like he did in the one he won a couple of weeks ago. Time will tell, I guess.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Ullrich..no disc. [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It also looked like Ullrich was riding the Walser again.
Quote Reply
Re: Ullrich..no disc. [malarky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was hard to tell but I think Brad McGee was on a rebadged Walser? It looked to me like Jan was on a Giant TT frame but since he is so big the frame does not look as compact as so with the smaller sizes.

Dave from VA
Quote Reply
Re: Ullrich..no disc. [malarky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At the very least the bars are. No doubt.

Quote Reply
Re: Ullrich..no disc. [Slowman] "i'll bet because he was afraid of that turn around the roundabout. " [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
??

Have ridden a disc through many a haripin, if I have had no problems, how do you rationalize Ullrich would?

Quote Reply
Re: Ullrich..no disc. [Slowman] "i'll bet because he was afraid of that turn around the roundabout. " [chickenlegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 They might have thought the weight on such a short course would make an advantage as turning high speeds would be virtually identical on the spoked wheel. I think the need to find some small advantage is gonna be big this year. Who knows if it was worth it as he may have gone slower on his disk. Could he have flatted and the spare was not a disk. That seems remote but who knows. Since all things are planned it would have to be a reason and that's about all there are.
Quote Reply
Re: Ullrich..no disc. [marko16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weight would be a non issue on a flat TT like this. AFAIK, virtually every aero study ever done has determined a disc to be the fastest. His wheel choice makes no sense to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Ullrich..no disc. [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. Did you guys also notice he was warming up on a road bike? What's up with that? Wouldn't you want to warm up with THE bike or at least a very similar bike?

Ullrich looked surprisingly fit and thin compared to last year. I may have underestimated him, but I still think he won't make the podium.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: Ullrich..no disc. [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Did you guys also notice he was warming up on a road bike?"

Mentioned that on another thread. In contrast, Lance was warming up on a TT bike identical to what he would be riding. Also have to say again that Jan's hand position is well, unique.
Quote Reply
Re: Ullrich..no disc. [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After furthur analysis, I have determined that ULLRICH WAS NOT RACING. Compare his facial expression from this yrs prolog to either of the ITTs in last year 's TdF and it becomes obvious he was not pushing, whatever the reason may be. Therefore, if he decided to not race for the win, why bother with the fastest gear?

Keep in mind, I want him to win.

Quote Reply
Re: Ullrich..no disc. [chickenlegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with that, he was not going full out!

I think at that level it is crucial to peak exactly at the right moment in the 3 weeks. 1% difference in fitness can make the difference between winning and being 3rd or off the podium. A very intense effort has a lot to do with triggering the peaking process even if a prologue is a very short thing.
I believe that Ullrich is on a very tight plan in order to peak for the mountains and the long flat TT where the differences will not be seconds but minutes.

In the past Ullrich peaked too late, at least that's my impression, maybe he fears to peak too soon, at least his performance at the TDS and his looks could indicate that.
Quote Reply
Re: Ullrich..no disc. [agret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
comments in lequipe.fr post prologue was that the team director and jan decided after the crash of a teammate, to take the TT easy and make sure a crash at day 1 does not compromise the rest of the tour.
Quote Reply
Re: Ullrich..no disc. [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
comments in lequipe.fr post prologue was that the team director and jan decided after the crash of a teammate, to take the TT easy and make sure a crash at day 1 does not compromise the rest of the tour.

If that is true it cerrtainly plays down the psych effect of losing 15 seconds on the first day.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Ullrich..no disc. [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might want to keep in mind that the course was slightly damp, and fairly technical. Ullrich is not exactly known as a wet weather rider/exceptional bike handler. This is, of course, the opposite of Lance...

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yep...I remember for Ullrich's second place in 96, Hinault was saying that the kid was the best rider he had ever seen, but couldn't ride a bike straight...

he improved a bit over the years, but isn't really good yet (this being of course all relative)
Quote Reply
Re: Ullrich..no disc. [agret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree as well... It was my impression that Jan was holding himself back. My guess [IMO] it looked as if he was confident enough to not go out and try to prove anything on the first day by going for the win. Could be wrong, but that's what it looked like to me.

Oreo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking of wet weather bike handling, anyone remember LeMond's '92 tour DuPont win? The Prologue stage at Monkey Hill where he let his ass slide out and around 6-8 inches before coming back on top to storm up the course was just phenomenal.

A hint of desparation, fire and pure determination. Not unlike his world champion road races, or Lance's own. Classic stuff.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply