Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Paddles?
Quote | Reply
What purpose do these serve? Who uses them? What is the significance of the different styles/sizes?
Quote Reply
Re: Paddles? [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use paddles in my swim training for a couple different reasons. Disclaimer: I am a tri-noob with limited training experience so please correct me if I am wrong. The paddles I use are Speedo ones that will actually fall off my hands if I go through my stroke wrong (water resistance works all the time) and they add just a little resistance to each stroke. I have used them for freestyle and breast stroke and find that they allow me to concentrate on a longer stroke with fluid motions rather than focusing on not drowning. The different sizes are to fit different size hands - I bought the pair that was closest to my actual hand size.

I enjoy the instant feedback that I get from the paddles, along with the added comfort in the water of being able to focus on glide and staying calm.

I look forward to more replies and training suggestions.

Peace,

Josh
Quote Reply
Re: Paddles? [Josh_MN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Josh,

For being a professed Tri-Noob... your disclaimer on the use of hand paddles couldn't be more correct. Hats off to your learned knowledge and the ability to say so.

A good paddle of choice for freestyle training is the Speedo Swimfoil ($15). It forces you into correct hand/arm position while adding some resistance.
Quote Reply
Re: Paddles? [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't bought paddles in years, but I doubt the design has changed too much. Many paddles come with straps for the fingers and and anther strap that goes down closer to the wrist. Take off the wrist strap. This will cause the paddle to come off if your stroke gets out of line.

Also, the paddles should are a tool to teach form. If you are using them to build shoulder strength, then stop using them and lift weights if you want to increase strength. Most people overuse paddles.
Quote Reply