Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

knee pain cycling help
Quote | Reply
I've made big increases in my cycling power over the past year and I've increased my milege too. however, it seems my quads and tendons around my knees are not keeping pace. When I am working hard and/or pushing big gears, my medialis and the tendons around that area just above and medial of my kneecap have been aching. nothing serious, but I don't want it to get worse. Usually, massaging my medialis during the ride for 10-15 sec makes it feel better, for a while at least.

a little more background: I have not done any leg exercises in over 8 months. also, the medialis/tendon pain is related to my saddle height. around january, i raised my saddle bit by bit b/c it would help with the pain. Soon, I was way too high on my saddle, but i had no knee pain. about 3 weeks ago, I began gradually lowering it, just as my IT bands started to get tight from reaching too far for the pedals. The IT bands feel much better now, and I am much, much more powerful on the bike, especially on the hills. But the medials/tendon pain is starting to creep back again...

I am thinking that some strengthening exercises targeting that area might be good. My cycling muscles have become very strong over the past year, and perhaps the lower quads around the knee are feeling the strain because they aren't strong enough.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: knee pain cycling help [gregk23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This site might be helpful:

http://www.cptips.com/knee.htm
Quote Reply
Re: knee pain cycling help [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, i've been consulting that site for a while. I'm looking for something more advance. Essentially, I have low-grade patellar tendonitis but none of the causes apply to me. my cranks are normal, i am pretty sure my cleats are OK, my saddle is still a bit too high if anything, and I am 99% of the time between 80-90 cadence, except when strength-training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Possible solutions:
- - Try rotating your cleats so your toes point in slightly
- - Do you wear orthotics to run? If so, have a pair made for your cycling shoes, or get a pair of Rocket 7s.

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stop the guesswork on your position. Go get fit by a professional.
Quote Reply