Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMC training advice for July
Quote | Reply

My plan is to focus on the bike and shoot for a 1000 mile month. From June’s race results, I think I need to work on bike more than anything. Training time is definitely a non-issue.

The question, how would you allocate the bike time in July?

Lots of long rides mixed with recovery rides?

A mix of long rides and strength work like hills and intervals?

Neither –shorter rides and more running?

Something else?

The facts: It’s my first IM, 65+ other tris in 20 years, including 6 HIMs

Three good base periods in Jan, Feb, Mar including 1400 miles on the bike. Peaked at 26 hrs/wk end of March. Jersey Shore marathon in late April completed in 3:42 (quads cramped in second half). 800 miles on the bike in May. Two half IMs in June:

Eagleman (flat) s/b/r = 32:54/ 2:39/1:48 5:08 overall time

Tupper Lake (hilly bike) s/b/r = 32:06/2:46/1:44 5:09 overall time (I think I finally solved the quad cramping in the run once and for all and the legs ran great in the run.)

Observation In both Eagleman and Tupper Lake, my bike HR averaged 135. At Tupper, I consciously pushed to go harder on the bike. It seems that my leg strength was the limiting factor. My cardio still felt good even on the run. HIM run HR averages are in the mid 150’s, as are the swims. Resting HR ~50 (haven’t measured in a while, may be lower). Max HR last year was 186 when I was doing more anaerobic work, this year I am topping out in the mid 170’s with very little anaerobic work.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: IMC training advice for July [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a strong cyclist I can tell you this: For IM, never, ever neglect your running.
IM is raced on the legs but with the stomach. Use all your long rides as digestion training, and in the race, never ride faster than you can digest.
A long ride, a hilly/hard ride, and a mod. long ride every week are enough, if done properly. Everything else is recovery.
Good luck,
-bobo
-

"What's good for me ain't necessarily good for the weak-minded."
Quote Reply