Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

DeSoto catalog- zipper claim?
Quote | Reply
I got the De Soto catalog last week, and was reading the explanation of the T1 zipper version. They point out that the zipper zips up to the shoulder blades, and claim that this will prevent other swimmers from pulling your zipper open- and they say that nothing in the rules prohibit that.

Is that a tongue in cheek thing, or are they serious? Do people really worry about someone unzipping their wetsuit on the swim? Anyone had that happen? Should it be part of my race strategy?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: DeSoto catalog- zipper claim? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well.............. that depends............lady or guy?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Do people really worry about someone unzipping their wetsuit on the swim? Anyone had that happen? Should it be part of my race strategy?
Funny thing -- I've read two recent race reports where that happened to somebody. They both said it was like swimming with an anchor.
Quote Reply
Re: DeSoto catalog- zipper claim? [Ashburn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've read two recent race reports where that happened to somebody.

Geez. I hope the offenders were identified and publicly humiliated.

Is there really no rule that would cover this?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure it's covered under "unsportsmanlike conduct" or under "unfair advantage". But I'd be suprised if it was done on purpose. Then again, I was suprised when someone put their hand on my shoulder and vaulted over me on the final leg of Ironman California and when someone else grabbed my big toe and pulled me back near the finish of that same swim. :)
Last edited by: gonzobob: Jul 1, 04 11:54
Quote Reply
Re: DeSoto catalog- zipper claim? [gonzobob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't see how you'd be able to unzip someone's wetsuit by accident.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get your hand caught up in an unsecured zipper strap? I can see how it could happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YES. Unfortunately this happened to me at Gulf Coast in 93. Was swimming with a QR Fullsuit that year when someone inadvertently yanked on my zipper and it got pulled about half-way down. From there it was a tough tough swim for about the last 500m or so with my suit sloshing full of water. Swim wasn't that crowded nor had anyone and I been bumping back and forth so I'm assuming it was entirely accidental on the part of a faster swimmer who elected to try to swim over me rather than around me. But I did have a great race. GCT is my favorite race venue :-D

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which leads to the question of what to do with your strap.

1. Leave it hanging like a tail?

2. Velcro the end up near the neck? - wouldn't this create a loop that would even more easily be pulled?

3. Other?
Quote Reply
Re: DeSoto catalog- zipper claim? [johnt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Normally I hold the strap up and close the collar velcro and just leave it. If someone pulls on it, the zipper will be first pulled up (closed) and (if continued) only stop me like a dog on a leash.

By that time I have had the time to get a good aim at the offender....

adrialin

(BOMK, racing drug and supplement free since 1985)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about the newer QR suits that release by a big pull UP? I didn't buy one partially because I worried that someone would inadvertantly yank up and completely open me up completely. Has this ever happened?

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply