Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM CDA - race report from one with a bad day...
Quote | Reply
So I just got back from IM CDA and am pretty disappointed.

What I really trained for was the bike to run, i.e. did some looong runs on very tired legs and felt ready to tackle it.

My swim time was very, very slow - which is standard for me - but I exited the swim with virtually no fatigue, which was my goal.

The bike course was a little tougher than I expected (I trained for the hills, but didn't have a lot of heat to train in, and I think I noticed that on Sunday...although it was nothing like last year's temps, it was pretty warm out there). Oddly though, I felt worse at the end of the first bike loop than the second, so that was great...came in to T2 feeling ready to run.

But I had stomach problems - usually I can alleviate that in a few minutes with some tums - but in this case, they lasted the rest of the day. Couldn't eat anything except a couple of pretzels on the run. The only thing that started to sound remotely good was broth, and they ran out.

Stop reading here if you don't want too much information, but by the half-marathon, I was stopping to pee frequently and it burned badly...I didn't realize it in the portapotty world, but when I got home, found out I was peeing blood. Nice.

So...I felt really prepped for this one mentally and physically, and due to walking pretty much the entire "run" I was about an hour and a half behind where I had planned to be.

So I'm struggling with the amount of time I put into the prep and the huge disappointment of not meeting my goals. I think I'm going to take a breather from triathlon for a while and focus on other aspects of my life I've been missing lately...and try not to think about it for a while. I'm sure some have had similar experiences...what helps you recover from a big disappointment in a race of that magnitude? Argh.

That said - it was a great event overall. As crabby as I am with the fees and miscellaneous "stuff Ironman" going on (jacked up hotel rates, asking us to pay for neoprene chip anklets - what the hell is up with that?)....the event was very well run, the volunteers were GREAT and the town was hugely supportive of the event.

I didn't think the hills were bad on the bike, but what I didn't like were the parking lot amblings...I wish they would have added more to the out and back on Centennial instead of making us slow for all the corners in empty parking lots. That - and the running out of broth for those of us who were sloooow and hurting - were my only complaints. The course is extremely spectator friendly and the crowed was great. Running and biking by the lake gave beautiful views...there were lots of great things about the course and I would definitely recommend it.

Sorry to be whiny about my particular day, but it's still stinging a bit...I'm so glad to hear a lot of other people had GREAT days out there!

~geek
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA - race report from one with a bad day... [irongeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So I just got back from IM CDA and am pretty disappointed.

What I really trained for was the bike to run, i.e. did some looong runs on very tired legs and felt ready to tackle it.

My swim time was very, very slow - which is standard for me - but I exited the swim with virtually no fatigue, which was my goal.

The bike course was a little tougher than I expected (I trained for the hills, but didn't have a lot of heat to train in, and I think I noticed that on Sunday...although it was nothing like last year's temps, it was pretty warm out there). Oddly though, I felt worse at the end of the first bike loop than the second, so that was great...came in to T2 feeling ready to run.

But I had stomach problems - usually I can alleviate that in a few minutes with some tums - but in this case, they lasted the rest of the day. Couldn't eat anything except a couple of pretzels on the run. The only thing that started to sound remotely good was broth, and they ran out.

Stop reading here if you don't want too much information, but by the half-marathon, I was stopping to pee frequently and it burned badly...I didn't realize it in the portapotty world, but when I got home, found out I was peeing blood. Nice.

So...I felt really prepped for this one mentally and physically, and due to walking pretty much the entire "run" I was about an hour and a half behind where I had planned to be.

So I'm struggling with the amount of time I put into the prep and the huge disappointment of not meeting my goals. I think I'm going to take a breather from triathlon for a while and focus on other aspects of my life I've been missing lately...and try not to think about it for a while. I'm sure some have had similar experiences...what helps you recover from a big disappointment in a race of that magnitude? Argh. I've had 2 pretty big disappointmenting days - last year IMCDA, I "discovered" at about mile 80, that I'd been riding with my real brake dragging. My legs were cooked and I limped into the finish line. It was one of the biggest Homer Simpson moments of my life. At IMMalaysia, I went out too hard on the bike, got very dehydrated, very cramped and DNF'ed. I recover by figuring out what mistakes I made and why, learn from it and do better next time. Feeling depressed is just part of my gig, too. Post Ironman blues. Schedule some fun stuff you've put off or haven't had time to do because of all the training. You finished the race and no one can take that away from you.

That said - it was a great event overall. As crabby as I am with the fees and miscellaneous "stuff Ironman" going on (jacked up hotel rates, asking us to pay for neoprene chip anklets - what the hell is up with that?)....the event was very well run, the volunteers were GREAT and the town was hugely supportive of the event.

I didn't think the hills were bad on the bike, but what I didn't like were the parking lot amblings...I wish they would have added more to the out and back on Centennial instead of making us slow for all the corners in empty parking lots. That - and the running out of broth for those of us who were sloooow and hurting - were my only complaints. The course is extremely spectator friendly and the crowed was great. Running and biking by the lake gave beautiful views...there were lots of great things about the course and I would definitely recommend it.

Sorry to be whiny about my particular day, but it's still stinging a bit...I'm so glad to hear a lot of other people had GREAT days out there!

~geek

Relax2dmax

"Just remember there is only 2 letters difference between STUD and STUPID." Heard on the course of the 1998 Lost Boys Ultramarathon
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA - race report from one with a bad day... [relax2dmax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Feeling depressed is just part of my gig, too. Post Ironman blues. Schedule some fun stuff you've put off or haven't had time to do because of all the training. You finished the race and no one can take that away from you.

Thanks. Good advice. After going about 18 months with ~always~ being registered for an upcoming event, I purposely didn't schedule any races after this so I could take a breather, but I'm so bummed that now I don't know whether it's better to jump in and to the Grand Columbian or something or just kick back and enjoy a summer filled with other activities, and doing some olys if they happen to fit in the schedule, rather than scheduling everything around them. I feel a little lost without a race goal in mind...it's a crazy addiction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Geekster -- don't worry, you just have got a case of the PIDS -- post-Ironman depression syndrome. Very very common, especially for those that bonked, etc. There are a number of recovery strategies, I mainly rely on beer and mountain biking (not in that order though), I'm sure you will see your way through. I would pay a little visit to the family doctor to check out the blood in the urine thing though -- that's not really a normal part of the Ironman experience...

FIST Certified Fitter
Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For my first IM, I hired a coach, trained my ass off and then limped home to a 14+ hr finish. Way off what I had expected based on what I had put in to it and I felt no satisfaction crossing the line. I made every mistake in the book from pacing to nutrition. But I put it behind me and vowed to learn more, train smarter and come back with a vengeance. One year later I did IMFL in 12:39. I took a month or two off from tri training, by the way, and that helped too. When I started missing it, I came back to it. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"huge disappointment of not meeting my goals"

I don;t accept this. This is a glass half empty, glass half full situation. Or, more accurately, a glass 7/8ths full, 1/8th empty.

You finished. You did it. You own that. The race dealt you a gut punch and you kept hitting back. Then you finished.

Certainly, I acknowledge that you missed your target time. I know from personal experience that is a disappointment. I have expressed the exact same disappointment in my own performances. But the fact of the matter is that you walked the walk (literally and figuratively) and you did not succumb.

You could have quit. How would that have made you feel? That would have been much, much, much worse.

I think you should give yourself credit for accomplishing a very impressive athletic feat. You did it under adverse circumstances too.

I say, good job. And that is an understatement.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
see, now if you'd let me keep bothering you, your mind would have been focused on something other than your race!

Congratulations on finishing. Bigger congratulations on starting! You're way ahead of a lot of people. Feel good about yourself and all the good you've accomplished. Now you have an experience from which you can learn.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA - race report from one with a bad day... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, I forgot to add, now you aren't a "beginner" any more. You learned a lot from the experience. I wager the full expanse of the lessons has yet to be appreciated.

Please don;t be disappointed. You worked so hard and you did so well. I am very pleased with your performance (for whatever that matters) as is everyone who follows your posts here.

You're a Slowtwitcher. I'm really proud of how well you did. I think everyone is too.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA - race report from one with a bad day... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks guys - i really do appreciate it. the thing was - it wasn't my first im, which is why i had the time goal. the first time, i didn't have a goal other than to finish. but i thought i had a realistic goal for this one - more experience training, blah blah, but came in waaaaaaaay after it. but - you are right - i did not succomb, even though i think the walk was harder than the run would have been (all those nice people telling you 'you look great!' when you are moving at a snail's pace and they are so sincere, but you know how far off you are). so - on to other stuff for a while and then i think the next one with be roth. after a long breather. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Peter Reid advice (paraphrasing) - finish and your legs will hurt, don't finish and your head will hurt

you finished

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA - race report from one with a bad day... [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may not want to take my compliments too seriously as I will almost certainly never line up to start an IM, but I would like to say congratulations on a job well done. Think about it. A marathon might not seem hard to some of us, but most people don't have the persistence to train for one of those, let alone train for an event where the marathon starts after more than two miles of swimming and 112 on the bike.

Consider this as well: you would have never made it to the start of an IM if you were easily satisfied with your accomplishments so it makes sense that you are a disappointed. I think, however, that you will soon look back on this major accomplishment and be happy with it. Besides, you don't learn much from anything that goes really well so you will do much better the next time as a result of this very good performance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
geek,

I was there too and I was way off my time too. this was my first IM, but I had some expectations based on how far my fitness had come in the past year and based on 1/2 IM results. I'm about 4:30ish in a half IM, yet I finished at CDA in just over 12h. My two main issues were upper back tightness that prevented me from keeping aero during the bike, so my pace dropped off. The second, more significant, problem was hydration/nutrition. The dry air caught me off guard and though I was drinking like a fish early in the bike, I could stay hydrated. I had really concentrated on my nutrition plan in training and thought I had it nailed, but in retrospect my drink mix was prob too concentrated. By the end of the bike I was having a hard time drinking the mix. I got behind on hydration and by the time I hit the run I had a brick in my stomach that wouldn't digest. I started to feel aching in my kidneys and some in my chest and even spit a little blood. I took it easy to achieve my most important goals (finish, avoid the med tent) and walked and drank a ton at the aid stations. I ended up walking at least 1/2 the run, but eventually started feeling better toward the end and finished the last 2 miles strong once I got caught up on hydration/nutrition. I did the marathon in just over 5h which is depressing considering I can go 2:50 in a stand-alone marathon.

Long story long, I know how you feel. I didn't feel the course was that bad, felt I was fit enough to post a good time, but still struggled. I'm disappointed with the time too, but I rationalized that I achieved my most important goals for my first IM ..... finished and stayed out of the medical tent!

congrats on your finish. we'll nail it next time! :)

(use code #48352 for 15% off your first order)
*Feel free to PM me with any specific questions about Hammer products*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(all those nice people telling you 'you look great!' when you are moving at a snail's pace and they are so sincere, but you know how far off you are).

Irongeek, congrats on a great race. You finished, and were peeing blood?! Toughgeek. Awesome.

As for people telling you how great you look when you're off your pace, you do look great. Anyone still moving forward looks great.

Good job- come again next year!

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had an off day at IMCDA also, due to an IT band problem at mile 14 on the run. I managed to beat last year's time, but not by the amount I expected to. BUT, I still remember clearly the feeling I had standing on the beach at the swim start with all the butterflies and thinking "Damn, it takes some balls to jump in and start this."

Everyone who sets the bar high and tries to clear it deserves all the credit in the world for having the guts to try. No one who put in the effort to train and took the risk of failing should feel bad for finishing slower than they expected. Most people would never take the risk of starting the race and everyone who had the guts to start is worthy of respect.
Quote Reply