Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SRAM or Wipperman
Quote | Reply
Looking to replace my shimano chain with one that I can easily remove and put back on. Does anybody have a preference between wipperman or SRAM? also anybody know the difference between the SRAM pc89r and pc99? I am leaning towards the SRAM only because that is what Mr. Empfield uses...
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM or Wipperman [Ann Arbor Jeff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[snip]

mr. empfield uses both chains. they both work great. one advantage to the sram is that, as i understand it, it doesn't matter which way the master link is turned. with wippermann, if your chain complains while in the smallest cog (11 or 12) you've got to turn the master link the other way, you've got it backwards. otherwise, i like them both.

i don't try to save weight on chains. i'd therefore use sram's 99 over the 89, as i understand it the 89 is the hollow pin chain and it's a half-ounce lighter.

i'd also stick to wippermann's nickel chain, as we've had a bad report by a forum user on the stainless chain, and my only experience is with the nickel chain, with which i've had only good luck.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got SRAM on both my bikes, I don't remember which model number but it is not the light weight version. The chain is great. Very easy to take off. Good shifting.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM or Wipperman [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Slowman
I did some internet research and found the pc99 is for mountain biking and the pc89 is for road and comes as in two version pc89r (heavier version) and pc89r hollowpin(lighter)

SRAM pc89r it is.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thanks Slowman
I did some internet research and found the pc99 is for mountain biking and the pc89 is for road and comes as in two version pc89r (heavier version) and pc89r hollowpin(lighter)

SRAM pc89r it is.....
But won't the Wipperman give you a 10% boost in power? ;)
Last edited by: JustCurious: Jun 30, 04 11:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm using the nickel Wippermann chain. Like it alot. It "seems" smoother through the drivetrain than the Shimano Ultegra chains I normally use. Perhaps it's placebo effect, I dunno. It is a nice chain. It is stone silent when I ride.

Brett
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't necessarily need to change the whole chain. I've been using a SRAM quick link on Shimano Dura-Ace chains for a while and it works great.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM or Wipperman [JustCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"But won't the Wipperman give you a 10% boost in power? ;)"

i've run through all the other possibilities. i've come to this conclusion based on the principle of regression, or reduction, or repercussion, or something :-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Wipperman on my road bike and an SRAM on my cross bike.

The SRAM works better. It shifts better, runs more quietly. I think it is cheaper, too, fwiw.

iambigkahunatony.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 "But won't the Wipperman give you a 10% boost in power? ;)"

Only if you get the $400 titanium or nobiliium or, or,...or, is it helium chain.......Yeah, that's it.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YOU ARE THE MAN!! I been using a Wipperman for a few weeks now, and had a little skip or something in the smallest cogs. I figured it was a drive-train geometry problem from compact cranks. But I turned the link around and no more skipping. Thanks!

Chris
Quote Reply