Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

PC removal question
Quote | Reply
Just a quick Q: I cannot get my PCs off my bike... undone the caps/ bolts and the crank arm will slide off but the remainder stays there... any ideas please- really want to TT this weekend without them- last weekends 10k nearly killed me on them- did go faster than last year though- no discussion needed on this.

Thanks

Weeman
Quote Reply
Re: PC removal question [weeman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not exactly sure how old your PC's are, or you bike wrenching knowledge, but on mine, the outer cap has a hole in it to access the crank bolt. Much like the Dura Ace except much larger. You may need to use something like a wooden dowel to lock chainrings in place. If this is the case, reinstall the outer cap and the anti rotation screw, and use the appropriate allen key and unscrew it like you would a regular crank. It should all come off the BB spindle as a complete assembly. I have shimano splined BB's. Do you have the same? If not, I believe the square taper model is the same. A picture would help. It really helps when you install the PC's, that you use a little anti seize to help in their removal.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need any more information. I love my PC's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weeman,

The end cap is your crank removal tool, in combination with your crank bolt. put the crank bolt back on and the end c ap back on then back off on the crank bolt putting the 8 mm allen wrench through the hole in the end cap and it will all come right off. Ugh, this is all in the directions. :-)

Frank

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: PC removal question [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK- beginning to feel stupid here- but there is no nole in the end cap- only a recess for an a. key. I can back it off- but that is it, nothing can go through it.

Weeman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HUH? You mean that the Allen bolt loosens for a little then stops? Then that is correct. It is a self extracting mechanism just like a regular crank. Just put a little muscle into it. It should all come off as a complete assembly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My PCs have no hole whatsoever through the center of the cap. In fact they have a standard screwdriver slot for installation/removal. I guess they are really old. Not sure as they were purchased used. Anyway, I ended up using a small bearing puller to remove them. They came off quite easily.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oops, I think you have model 4 cranks. They should remove like reular cranks with a normal crank removal tool, unless I screwed up and mixed and matched and gave you a model three spider by mistake, which means I will have to get you a left threaded end cap to use as a crank removal device.

Let me know and I will make it right if I screwed up (not the first time I am afraid).

Frank

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: PC removal question [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds right the spider is a left handed thread... I'll e-mail you...

Weeman
Quote Reply