Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM CDA RR
Quote | Reply
I don't post much, but this was my first IM and thought I better write it down.

Pre Race:

I volunteered at IM CDA ’03 knowing I was signing up for IM CDA ’04, so I had over a year to mentally prepare and physically train. I am definitely on the low end of the triathlete earnings scale, so paying for a training program was out of the question, and I don’t do well training out of books, so I decided that I would just swim, bike and run…a lot.

To complicate matters (with regards to training!), I proposed in November and we set the wedding date for May 2004. This resulted in me not training for 9 full days while we were in Hawaii for our wedding/honeymoon one month before the race when I should have been doing my biggest volume. I did however bring my bike and ride the Ironman Hawaii course, so all was not lost (with regards to training!).

As if I didn’t already have enough pre-race anxiety, in the weeks leading up to the race my wife and I decided it would be a great idea to buy a house. So needless to say I was a bit on edge for most of the month of June.

So taking into account the realities of life, I ended up averaging about 10 hours per week of training. Yes…10 hours. Being a slave to the cubicle I spend a lot of time reading these dang online forums, so I was feeling a little under-trained reading about everybody’s 20 hour plus weeks. Not to mention my grand total of about 3 swims since the World’s Toughest Half in April.

Race:

At best I planned on coming out of the water at about 1:20. Somehow I remained calm, cool and collected and came out in 1:09 and change. Great start to the day.

Bike:

I promised myself that I was going to hold back and not let the testosterone take over my brain. That plan went out the window after about ½ mile as it was such a beautiful day and I was feeling so dang good. Finished the bike in 5:23 feeling great (20.8 mph avg.), but I knew the pain real pain was still to come.

Run:

Like just about everything else, I had no plan for this except to just take what the day gave me. The day told me to walk the aid stations starting with aid station #1. I did this for the entire first lap and still ended up clocking a 2 hour (or so) half marathon. As the second lap of the run wore on I started walking a little bit before I reached the aid station, and then for a little while after, until I finally found myself walking the entire mile between two of them. I felt good in general, just a little bit out of gas. I think this is where the lack of training and long runs bit me in the butt. Ended up clocking a 4:48 marathon.

Summary:

Final time was 11:29 and change. I finished strong and aside from the expected general body soreness, really feel great. I am truly hooked on this Ironman drug and can’t wait for the next one. It was a great day, great course, with even greater volunteers.
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA RR [thirsty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What was the weather like? Wind direction?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sounds like you had a pretty great race despite all the hectic stuff going on. i am signed up for 2005, and am looking forward to the event.
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA RR [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weather was fantastic. I drove from Spokane race morning and there was lightning over Coeur d'Alene. By the time the race started it was cloudless. It started out cool, probably low to mid 70's. By the late afternoon I think it was in the low to mid 80's. A bit on the hot side, but it is a dry heat so it didn't feel so bad, nothing compared to last year.

I think there may have been a bit of a head wind going back into CDA (heading East) on the first lap of the bike, but by the second lap it seemed to have disappeared. I would say that wind was not a factor at all this year. Unfortunately during the run there was not even so much as a breeze coming off of the lake which would have been nice. No complaints though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what happen to lori bowden?

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA RR [ejs in chicago] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She's got a condition called neuroma...painful

------------------------------------------------

Trying to find ways to pass the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on the wedding, house and your great race!

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it in 2003, I had a 20hr plus week, I had "NO" honeymoon pleasentries,I do not own a home(house) I never had the enjoyment of Hawaii or 9 days ys off(hope you enjoyed some anarobic activity!)and did CDA 2004 And You KICKED MY ASS F#$##@#$ YOU#$%%^^%$# Congrats(to more than the race but to your family) Kenney
Quote Reply