Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Steven Larsen retired, but still fast!
Quote | Reply
Steve may be retired, but he still ripped up the course, just goes to show how good elite level athletes really are. He probably isn't training that hard and he can still post pretty impressive times, that most could never achieve, even if training full time.

Pacific Crest Triathlon
Saturday, June 26, 2004
Bend, Oregon
1.2m Swim, 56m Bike, 13.1m Run

MEN
1. Steve Larsen 4:15:32
2. Michael Cupirlt 4:24:16
3. Jefferson Hartman 4:25:58
4. Dave Ference 4:28:11
5. Nenad Rodic 4:31:02

1. Steve Larsen 34 M 4:15:32 1 0:30:58 61 2:27 2:13:51 1 1:15 1 1:27:00 6 Bend, OR
2. Michael Cupirlt 22 M 4:24:16 1 0:24:55 1 1:56 2:22:48 2 1:34 2 1:33:03 18

Quote Reply
Re: Steven Larsen retired, but still fast! [Spandexboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read the Bend paper on Sunday after the race. His comment in the paper was that "he feels his background in cycling doesn't give him a competitive advantage" made me laugh. My friend who lives in Bend tells me Larsen shows up to the lunch time rides and hammers people to bits. His "easy" pace seems to be about 30mph. That's an impressive bike time for that course. I was just happy to finish.
Quote Reply
Re: Steven Larsen retired, but still fast! [Spandexboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We were out driving the Oly course on Saturday and as we were waiting to go through one intersection we see a guy in red on a P3 come rocketing towards our car and I'm like "Oh sh*t thats Steve Larsen" and my friends didn't believe me. At that point we'd seen 2-3 people cruise through that intersection already and were wondering why he was behind, especially on the bike.

I saw him afterwards at the finish line bbq and he was looking super fit as always and just relaxing with his family and chatting with finishers and friends - super nice guy.

Then I was at the Deschutes Brewery (post Oly race) of course and was reading the Sports section and saw the quote from Steve and noticed another quote that he finished only 40-50 seconds behind the winning duathlete (duathlon course was only bike & run). Steve made up a ~30min deficit on the duathlon winner - that is just incredible.

Part of me wonders that if he is dominating at this level "without" full-time training then something must be going on...
Quote Reply
Re: Steven Larsen retired, but still fast! [BNasty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Part of me wonders that if he is dominating at this level "without" full-time training then something must be going on...[/reply]

Could just be that now he's free from all that pressure to perform. Race free, race fast. I got the free part down! ;)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply