Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

OT: TORNADO LAST NIGHT AT MY HOUSE! (Madison, WI)
Quote | Reply
Idiot me was intrigued by the weather maps and the meteorologist on the local news. Really, how many times do you hear that there is some kind of weather warning that turns out to be a bust. I figured the wind would get gradually worse giving me time to get to the basement if anything really happened.

No such luck.

About 8:40 PM, only 3 miles from the IM MOO start/finish line, a tornado touched down briefly on my street. There was just a little rain one second, and then my wife just suddenly said "WOW, it is _really_ windy." She said this because all of a sudden the neighbor's birch tree was flexing all the way over and touching the ground with its canopy. I looked out and saw the scene from every close-up tornado video you have seen. You know the one with all the debris flying around horizontally. The debris is unidentifiable but often turns out to be cars or cows or something. In this case of a lower-grade tornado, it was probably just shingles and siding and stuff.

So, seeing the flying building materials, we grab the dogs (the cats can fend for themselves) and hightail it to the basement. Running through the living room with the 50 pound yellow lab in my arms I see trees crashing down in the back yard. Running through the kitchen exposes the same scene in the front yard.

It is all over in about 20 seconds before we even get down the steps.

The sky was crazy-yellow for a bit after the storm then the sunny blue sky gave light to the damage. My street seemed to be one of the very few, but very hardest hit in the city of Madison. My wife and I lost 3 of 4 of our 50 year old trees. Our neighbors on our small cul-de-sac came out the same. Very few of the large trees made it. We have no phone or power either (I am at work right now).

Everyone is OK - we checked on our elderly neighbors who were troopers. One tree fell on our car. It definitely killed our Yakima rack, but not sure about other damage yet (it was still under the tree canopy this AM). The house seems alright. And the Tri bikes are just fine.

Lesson learned: Go to the Basement, damn the colorful doppler radar and witty weather guy.
Last edited by: johnt: Jun 24, 04 11:23
Quote Reply
Re: OT: TORNADO LAST NIGHT AT MY HOUSE! (Madison, WI) [johnt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
:-O time to move from the midwest mthinks...glad to hear everyone (pets included) are alright
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear everyone is OK.

Good for you for checking on your neighbors!

Best of luck with repairs, should any be needed.

matt

"When I cleaned up my diction, I had nothing left to say" -- Van Morrison
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend who lives in Madison sent me the below message (edited) this morning. Wonder if he was in the same area as you?

"Fellas---

Survived my first twister last night. For you weather afficionados, Here's my recount of the story:

It was a day like any other. Highs in the mid 70's. Partly cloudy. A slight chance of a thunderstorm. I returned from work to prop me feet upon my coffee table and stare at the boob tube. Yes, it would be a restful night. Me and the gal friend travelled to madison's west side to dine with ...

...We momentarily interrupted dinner to watch the television news update to ascertain the severity of this immenent threat. It seemed that the big storm cell was tracking north, but there was a small cell that was 'coming right for us, Ned!" Surely, this panty waste of a storm wouldn't provide the carnage that we all secretly wish when threatened by inclimate weather.

The warning was accompanied by sirens, but who listens to those things anyway? To me, those siren's are an alert that the show is starting and one should find there seats on the porch to observe mother nature's nasty, nasty, nastiness.

Just then, a deadly still. A few pea-sized hailstones. An unfortunate dog-walking neighbor sought shelter beneath an oak in the sideyard. We offered her solice in the small home, but she declined and would instead 'make a break' for her own home.

The hail stopped. There were light winds from the west. The sky was ominous, clouds tip-toeing in all directions.

An then, the wall cloud...It was a signature wall and did, in fact, display 'rotation.' We were thrilled. This was the start of a funnel...Right above the house!!!!!

As we marvelled at the awe of nature....we sighted something mysterious in the heavens. Wind swept leaves, perhaps? No....No....NO....THOSE ARE PIECES OF F----N' HOUSES. WE HAVE DEBRIS! AND ITS SPINNING AROUND IN CIRCLES! This is like the F---n' weather channel storm stories pictures. Damnit, this really is a tornado! EVERYONE IN THE BASEMENT, NOW!

as we barrelled down the stairs, dog in one hand, beers in the other....Our ears began to pop. I've never had that happen before. This is the real thing!

one mississippi....two mississippi....three....IT was a total of roughly two minutes. Very little noise (no 'train' like sound), very litte activity, aside from the plants slapping the basement window.

And then, calm.

We walked upstairs. Destruction. Chaos. Carnage. The Oak tree that was solice to the dog walking lady? Dead. The oak in front of the house? Dead. The oak in the back yard? Dead. The neighbors roof? Dead. Powerlines? Dead.

I still cannot believe it. It only took two minutes.

My advice is this: The next time the sirens go off, Heed the warning. Had that thing actually touched down, we would have been dead as the oak trees. You really couldn't have predicted it, couldn't have outrun it..."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was there, too -- in town for a week visiting my parents in Verona. Were you watching channel 27 at all? We had it on, suddenly they started yelling in the background and the picture went out. Apparently their studio was almost hit. We went into the basement but nothing came near us, though my parents live quite close to PD and M, where apparently something touched down.

I watched my brother do the Wisconsin Triterium race on Sunday, the first time I have ever been at a race and wasn't competing. Kinda strange. God I love Madison....someone, please, find me a job up there so I can move home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those of us here in the tornado belt are glad to hear you are ok.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear you are OK. I do not miss tornado season at all and having had one hit our town when I was in high school, I've seen the destruction close up.

We were in the garage having had to move the BBQ under shelter from the rain and my dad said, "That looks like a funnel cloud." Well, it was and it hit the other side of town, flattening a movie theater (luckily very few inside) and hitting a trailer park and nursing home (where my grandmother was). I remember later seeing pieces of straw (from the farmer's fields) driven straight into telephone poles, like someone had hammered them in. Crazy.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply