Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Marathon during IM Training? Good/Bad Idea
Quote | Reply
Here is the scenario...

I will be starting my build up for IM Arizona once I finish my rest period after my final 1/2 IM Sept 19th. I really want to run the California International Marathon on Dec 5th. I'm worried that putting a marathon in the midst of my IM buildup - although it is 3 months prior - could do some serious damage. I also wanted to run a local 50K trail race in early January, but I can handle not running that until 2006 or later.

Calendar Breakdown:

Sept 19th - Final 1/2 IM of the season
Early to Mid-October - begin base building phase for IM Arizona
Dec 5th - California International Marathon
Apr 9th 2005 - IM Arizona

Does anyone have any advice? Is this a good/bad idea?

Thanks

P.S. I was called in to work to handle a fire in the middle of the night and during a break I got to thinking.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon during IM Training? Good/Bad Idea [BNasty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last year I did a Marathon 3.5 month before my first IM. I won't do this again.
The tapering before and recovery after the marathon was not good or my (run) training.I was also unertrained for the marathon and had to suffer )much more than in the IM).

Felix

http://www.weilenmann.ch.vu
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon during IM Training? Good/Bad Idea [felix__w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Felix. I didn't think this would be a good idea, but thought I'd check with fellow Slowtwitchers just in case.

I'm not worried about not being ready for the marathon, but the recovery time afterwards is a killer. After my past two marathons I've had significant recovery time involved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont see where the harm of this would be. I ran 3.5 hrs fresh, 3 weeks out from IM Australia and then I ran 3.33 at IM in the race. So I estimate I would have ran around a marathon distance from this long run. So I guess it would come down to personal preference and what your body can handle. Im only a young pup, 21, but you may be a little more mature than me ;-)

pinkboy

In the power never given to me in the name of slowman, king high ruler and Grand Hunky Poo Ba of the blessed land of Slowtwitchia I dub thee "Sir pinkboy the Awsomator" This honor is given to thee for the reason of being not only freakin' awsome but totally sweet. By the use of the color Pink to fly your freak flag and bring smiles to frowny faces. *Mr. Tibbs*

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see any conflict here. A marathon 3 months prior makes you confident of your running capabilities, and all training periods needs breaks - no problem with tapering and a bit rest afterwards.

(I did my best IM with a 3.16 run leg - 5 weeks after a marathon)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would discourage the idea of doing the marathon prior to your IM. It will take about a month to fully recover from your marathon effort. You will need to enter Jan. and Feb. mentally and physically fresh in order to successfully train for you IM. If you do the marathon you'll be entering the hard months detrained from your recovery efforts rather than fresh.

If there's a 1/2 marathon option I'd highly recommend that...it gives you a goal to work towards, develop good base for your IM training, and allow you to recover for your IM effort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would not do it. You can make the argument that it will boost your confidence, but by the same token, you are going to face a recovery period that may set your running back a little. A very close friend of mine hs tried this twice and both times insisted that the only thing Marathon did while Iron Man training was make him tired and stale for several weeks after the race. It was impossible for him to peak his run in time for Iron Man.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I threw in the Boston Marathon this year after doing the Ralph's Half IM. Was still a bit tired but managed it. Did not cut IM training and did not taper for the marathon. Sucky time but it was hot out there and I wasn't used to heat yet. Right after the marathon I went right into my IM training with no breaks. Didn't seem to hurt me at all training wise. Maybe just have to be careful you don't get injured from the marathon.

------------------------------------------------

Trying to find ways to pass the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon during IM Training? Good/Bad Idea [jonathanb565] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well i'll be the odd ball voice here and say skip the marathon but think about the trail run.
Why? Glad you asked. If you do it run walk style say 20 running/3-4 walking you will not beat your legs up as much as a marathon. it's on trails so it should also be softer. third it allows you to help develop plans for handling longer duration events. It gives you a good day of training.
I've done a 56mile trail race and it was a blast.
If your in the m30-34 AG at imaz do a marathon the weekend before the race. otherwise I'll see you there

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Jun 24, 04 7:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the New Orleans marathon this past Feb., and am nearing the end of base/build for IMLP right now. The mary was ~ 20 weeks from the IM ... and I wouldn't want it too much closer. Running the whole thing was a big confidence builder, but it will beat you up and require recovery, esp if it is your first one. Its certainly not required, as I know many IMers who ran their first 26.2 after 2.4 and 112. I am glad that I did the marathon, however, the mental cost of going from marathon training (Oct-Feb) directly into IM training (Mar-now) was more than I thought. So take that into consideration as well.

Also, the analysis may be influenced by whether you plan on running the whole 26 or following a run/walk approach. Subject to all of the whining that this kind of commentary will generate, you MAY find that if you follow the latter approach you are not as fatigued from the mary and your time may not be much (if at all) slower.

On balance, if you want to do it, go for it ... but expect to lose a little running time and miles to taper/recovery and also expect your overall training to be a little impacted for a few weeks after.

Good luck.

-Tim
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon during IM Training? Good/Bad Idea [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah have to agree with you on the legs being beaten up..all running on concrete..wow...quads were a bit sore from the hills and just pounding over the pavement. But, I think it helped my psychologically and told me even though it is or was early in the season that I can handle the marathon distance which then helped my confidence for my first IM coming this Sept. IM Wis.

------------------------------------------------

Trying to find ways to pass the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Generally speaking - not a good idea.

Main reason - too much down time required from the marathon eats into key training time for the IM.

There are those that will say go ahead and do it, and there are those that get away with it, but they are the exceptions.

Focus on long bike rides, long runs up to 2.5 hours and long bricks.

If you want to run a marathon. Set aside 6 months or so and focus on running a good marathon with no other race goals or distractions before or after.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd do it, but for my own reasons. One of those reasons is that I think I need some more run toughness in my buildup than other people. A nice 26 mile run a few months out is a good thing to do.

Now, I wouldn't taper for it and I wouldn't try to set a PR or anything. I'd probably just go out at a target (slow) pace and (low) HR and try to run steady and strong. Rest for a day or three, and then dive back into training. Marathons are fun to do, even if you're holding back and just getting in a good overdistance workout.

I'm doing a 50-miler this October, even though my A race is a marathon in January. The 50-miler is just a fun thing to do and (I hope) a confidence-builder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just did it.. I ran the flying pig marathon may 3rd and am about to do Lake Placid. I think I am fine.. What you need to decide, is how hard you want to do the marathon. i agree with people that it takes time to recover if you race it but not as much if you don't. My coach warned me that I would pay the price if I raced it. So I ran a nice, easy, comfortable pace, even all along and PR by 20 minutes anyway.. that really boosted my confidence.. 3 days later I was back on the bike doing hill repeats and did a 210 mile week-end ride the following week-end. We took one complete week off running, switched the focus to cycling and now I am doing a couples longs runs to maintain that fitness. i think it worked good for me...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do the pros run marathons to to prepare for IMs (or any triathlons for that matter)? The answer "no," and there is good reason for it. They are triathletes, not marathoners. You have to determine what you want to be and that answers the questions. If you want to do the best IM possible, then the answer is no. If you want to do both and are willing to understand that it is a compromise, then yes. You really need to determine what is important and that will make your decision.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply