Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Florida Ironman ?
Quote | Reply
First time poster, long time lurker here. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on lodging for this event? My wife has suddenly descided that she wants to come with the kids! I very much love the idea that they will be there, but based on many years of past experience(same s**t, different place) this throws a huge wrench into my plans. Any suggestions from Panama City residents, and/or previous participants would be greatly appreciated. The Host hotel is booked BTW. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida Ironman ? [SProboscis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are some nice higher rise condos just west of the host hotel--the street is closed off pretty much starting wed so you'll want to be within walking distance to the start/finish-expo--I would call the host hotel and ask them what is right to their west--

get on the waiting list for the host hotel--some people last year wound up getting in--we put on our wetsuits in the room and walked down which was pretty sweet
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Host hotel would actually not be the most desireable location to stay for IMFL. Transition area takes up a significant portion of the Boardwalk Beach Resort's parking lot, so therefore there is basically no parking for the hotel from about the Thursday before the race, and you'd have to park at Club La Vela, which is about a quarter mile down the road. If you're looking for budget prices, there's a Travelodge less than a mile from the race site, and it'll run you only about $40/night. Drawback is that it's not by the water. I recall there is another hotel called the Moondrifter, which is between Club La Vela (which was the location for some of the MTV spring break locations) and the Boardwalk Beach Resort, and has it's own parking. I've never stayed there, so I don't know how the rooms are, but it'll probably be more convenient location-wise than the host hotel. Don't worry about any crazy spring-break type of crowds, Panama City Beach is pretty dead that time of the year, although people will still go out on the weekends. I think there's also a place called the Inn at Thomas Square, which is a little more condo-like, and might be a little suitable for the family. It's by the intersection of Thomas Drive and Joan Ave, also very close to host location. Again, never stayed there.

There are a ton of places in the Panama City Beach area, so finding a place isn't a problem. I listed a couple of places, if being within proximity of the race site is important to you, and they should all be pretty reasonable in price. I'd try calling them up, or finding a write-up on them on Travelocity or Orbitz, so you know what to expect which each of those places.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year we stayed at Summit condos in a 2 bedroom place that worked well with my kids. Good proximity, but our room was kinda a dump. Others that stayed at the same place reported that their rooms were find. This year we will either try our luck again with Summit (gotta love a suite with the kids) or Sunbird condos. Last year there were rooms available all over town right up to the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In 2001, my wife, sister, mother and I stayed at the marriot - it's about 5 miles from the race site but I prefer to be away from the action during race week. Plus the hotel was really nice, clean and had room service - a big plus when you return to your room from the race at 11pm starved and to exhausted to move. It's not cheap but I'm a hotel snob and it worked for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're willing to drive a bit, there's an area to the west of PCB that's really nice. Google Beaches of South Walton or Scenic Highway 30A. There's a couple of brokers that rent tons of condos and houses. I think one of the brokers is Abbot. It is a 20-40 minute drive depending on how far west you are, but particularly with the family, it's a much nicer area. With all due respect to the residents (sorry, Dad), PCB is a little on the tacky side.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stayed at the Sunbird condos when I was down there in May for GCT (same race venue). It was much cheaper than a hotel would have been and came with a full kitchen and an ocean view. I'd go the condo route in a heart beat if I were ever in the area again.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida Ironman ? [Drinyth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. Sunbird is within walking distance to the hoopla, and you can get a condo with a full kitchen inexpensively. I rented from the ownder directly - Stan Van Sant - if you do a search online, you should find his site. He was very easy and the condo was clean and in good condition (he has two and could probably recommend people with others).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
did imf three times and going for a fourth, do not ask why. i have gone to all three races with my wife and two children ages 7 & 9.

stayed at the sunbird once and the summit twice. both are fine, nothing great but decent, and both close enough to walk to the expo but far enough that you do not get overwhelmed. both have full kitchens and decent appliances and cooking utensils. both have a heated pool which was about 10 degrees warmer then the non heated pool and was perfect for the family to swim in during Novemeber.

Sunbird primarily has one bedroom units but the coach pulls out to a bed. The summit has one and two bedroom units. but even in the one bedroom units there are bunk beds in a hallway that are behind a closet door. my kids think they are the greatest and my son thinks he is in a rocket ship. if you stay at the summit ask to be in a room on the east tower away from club velo.

Overall, sunbird was nicer a bit more expensive, but filled up sooner last year. I booked the summit about a month before the race last year. Summit has larger units and was ok, but you could tell the Summit has seen its share of spring breaks.

best of luck,

rockfish
Quote Reply
Re: Florida Ironman ? [irongeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try vrbo.com. Look for Sunbird or another option that I've used in the past is The Top of the Gulf. Sunbird is just west of transition and Top of the Gulf is just East of transition. Both easily within walking distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as a side note on this, entertaining kids there might be somewhat difficult with the exception of the fabulous ocean and many pools. we found it difficult to find much for restaurants, stores, etc. within walking distance. i would research the area or rent a car if your kids need more entertainment than that, and/or if you wife is a shopper. there's a walmart really close for whatever last minute stuff you need, groceries, but not a lot else really close.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida Ironman; my hotel is in Bizzarro land [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually booked into the host hotel yesterday. And I'm still scratching my head about this.

When i called the reservations line and indicated the days that i'm staying, the operator asked if i was coming for the ironman. I say yes. She says the room rate is 119 a night. I say I was quoted 69 a night a few days ago. she says that's the regular rate. I say "So, if I tell you that I'm NOT there for the ironman, it costs 69 bucks instead of 119?" she says yes. I book at 69 buck a night.

Am I missing something? If I'm not, who was the negotiation genius behind the fifty dollar Ironman room tax?
Quote Reply
Re: Florida Ironman; my hotel is in Bizzarro land [oh-so-slow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this happened to me recently (not IM FL). I looked on the hotel's website, it showed a room for $130, I called the hotel when I found out about a "special triathlon rate". I was quoted $150.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Florida Ironman ? [irongeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
definitely worthwhile to rent a car. most hotels and condos are very spread out along panama city beach, and often there won't be much within walking distance. if anyone has a car and is staying close to the race site, there is the edgewater shopping plaza on front beach road about a mile from the boardwalk beach resort (near the holiday inn sunspree resort). has a movie theater, large arcade/game room, shopping, and several restaurants. i recommend sweet basil's for good italian, and montego bay for seafood. grouper and raw oysters from the area are excellent.
Quote Reply
Top of the gulf - good place. Cheap too EOM [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd suggest looking on the internet for an owner renting their unit that has pictures. We did this last year and got a great place. My friends that called the company that rents the units for owners in the same building, got dumps in the same building. We were able to request a specific unit after talking with the owner and got a great place.

Marcel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife, two kids and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Sunspree just about a mile or so down the road from the race. We loved it! No minimum stay. About $80 a night. Great breakfast buffet. Italian food just across the street. Cool playground area for kids. Nice pools and a huge hot pool/jacuzzi which came in handy after the race. Would highly recommend. Lots of other triathletes there as well. Good luck. I had a blast at IMF last year. Wish I was doing it this year but it sold out before I got home :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the great advice. After much research on availability, cleanliness, location, and reviews, I(we) will be at the Holiday Inn Sunspree. I am satisfied with my choice, and my wife is happy that she and the boys will have something to occupy their time(and energies) while I am out brutalizing my body again. Man! I love this sport! Thanks again for all of your help.
Quote Reply