Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

cold weather running gear
Quote | Reply
One critical item (for men) left off the list is the polypro undies with the nylon wind blocker on the front :)
Quote Reply
Re: cold weather running gear [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speaking of... Anybody have thoughts on Gore-Tex running shoes? Salomon and Nike ACG both have some interesting shoes with a new Gore footwear specific laminate in them to keep your feet dry. Anyone use them yet? If I ever get oover this cold I want to keep my feet dry running outside in this cold, wet stuff.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: cold weather running gear [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah tom I used to work at REI and sold shoes and clothes and stuff. The Salomon shoe is a pretty good one and it uses Goretex XCR (extended comfort range) basically it breathes 25% more than "old" goretex. It will be warmer than a regular running shoe and it will keep you dry (unless water comes in over the side of the shoe) If its really raining, snowing etc you might think of a gaiter to go with those shoes. I have no info on the Nike Gore shoes but Salomon got great reviews this yr and their a solid shoe company. Hope this helps.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know about the Gore-Tex shoes, but I noticed these at Mountain Equipment Co-op (Canada's answer to REI) around 10 years ago. http://www.mec.ca/...;bmUID=1041377851894

Back then they sold for $49, and I've never been in a position where I might need them. But maybe "Action Tom" can give us a review!

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just finished my season on 12/1 (seattle half marathon) and was anxious to spend some time on the trails, so I went to Seattle Running Co. (Scott Jurek works there, they must know something) to get some trail runners. They cautioned against the gore-tex liner if you're likely to get water inside the shoe (it can't drain out through the liner).

On my first run at Tiger Mtn, I was pushing through a very long row of ferns and all the water from the ferns was running down my legs into my shoes. when I cleared that section and was able to notice, i realized that my shoes and socks were soaked. I was glad I hadn't gotten the gtx at that point, and within 20 minutes the squish was gone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you wouldnt catch me dead running when the temperature is below 32. i would much rather run on my treadmill, even if it is boring.
Quote Reply
Re: cold weather running gear [P2kman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't imagine doing a long run on a treadmill regardless of the outside temperature :) I started running competitively when I was 11 years old (a long time ago) when there weren't any fancy dryfit/goretex high-tech outfits and continue to run outside regardless of how cold it gets (I live in Ontario so -5 to -20 range is common during the next few months) since that is what I have always done. Funny thing is, that when it comes to cycling in crummy weather I'm a wimp that rides on the rollers and that doesn't seem to cause the same level of boredom as a treadmill.
Quote Reply
Re: cold weather running gear [brad in WA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your right about gortex... it's a bit over rated when it come to the practical and "real world" outdoor use. If you backpack or trail run where there are creeks to cross... goretex becomes filled with water and won't drain.

I figured this out many years ago when outdoor shoe mfgs. decided they would improve sales to those who posed wearing hike boots on the rugged streets of the urban jungle. Goretex looks like a good idea from a poser's stand point. But, from a true outdoor "creek crossing" standpoint they flunk my "sniff test".

Goretex has it's place - multi-use outdoor shoes are not one of them for more than just one reason. While they don't drain, they also fail to work as advertised. They will not breath once the micro-pores plug up. And, guess what part of the body is most likely to get dirty. That which is in constant contact with dirt/mud - the feet. It's not uncommon for goretex boots/shoes to simply stop acting like expensive goretex. Instead, once the pores become plug by dirt, they act like cheap vapor barrior plastic/rubber galoshes.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's because it's extremely rare to wipe out on the treadmill! ;)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: cold weather running gear [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually sprained my ankle running on a treadmill once. There was freezing rain outside so I relented and went to do a workout on the treadmill. I was doing intervals and running close to 5 minute miles so the surface underfoot was realing moving fast. I figure that it was twisting my foot a little each time I planted it and it didn't bother me while I was actually running but by the time I got home my ankle was all swollen up!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MAN!!!! 5 minute miles on a treadmill. Now wonder why you hate it. I wouldn't be able to survive on the thing indoors. BTW, I hate running in the side, but i am a wimp when it comes to cold. I cant wait to move south, hopefully to the carolinas..... if only i can be so lucky.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the one area of winter/cold weather running gear where there is no need to go over the top. I have run through many a bleak and cold Canadian winter and I have never had a problem keeping my feet warm with regular running shoes. Below -15C I may switch to a sightly heavier sock from my normal thin ones. I know that there are all kinds of beefed up trail shoes made with some fancy climate and moisture control fabrics, but I really don't see the need for them. When it's heading out the door to go straight into a run, reguler running shoes seem to be sufficient for me. Now, standing around or doing less strenuous activities than running and I will be looking for something warmer.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: cold weather running gear [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm another Gore-Tex nay-sayer and I totally agree with Fleck here. While I don't live in Canada and haven't lived in the vacinity for nigh on a decade now, I grew up running in the Northwoods and you don't need special running shoes for cold weather. I'd much rather have a pair of nicely vented running shoes if I'm going to be slogging through puddles of ice-water than a pair that is purported to be water-proof. If you will be running through puddle-free powder, that may be different, but you're still likely to squishing in your shoes from your own sweat! Personally, I've been wearing my mesh-sided New Balance this whole fairly snowy, yet very sloppy season here in St. Louis.
Quote Reply
Re: cold weather running gear [Koz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My experience with "old school" Gore-Tex is it doesn't breath very well at all or not at all. It is best used in a mountaineering environment in high winds as a wind shell. I think there are other waterproof/resistant-breathable fabrics that are much better, among the a fabric called Event. The new Gore XCR (Extended Comfort Range) is said to be better but I have not tried it. I like micro-fiber fabrics (such as Silmond or Zephyrr) for wind shells in adventure racing environments when I am goint to be moving fast and staying relative warm from my own exertion. My .02

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: cold weather running gear [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with Fleck too. I've been running through 25 Canadian winters and have never worn anything but a regular running shoe. I never even change the type of socks that I wear. If you're running the entire time and not standing around in wet slush I wouldn't bother spending more cash on fancy gore-tex shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem with so-called breathable fabrics in cold weather is the escaping freezes when it hits the outer surface of the material, blocking the mesh. I've got a GoreTex bivy sack that was absolutely useless in cold weather camping.

I much prefer venting options. Zip pits are okay but I prefer rear draft flaps to draw heat off the back.

Also, I've been breaking in some new Craft windproof pro boxers -- very nice.
Quote Reply